Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

For 2011 - Whats your pick for best performing sector/company

Werner_1
Super Contributor
I just thought it would be interesting to hear each other's views. I like Grindrod as shipping will pick up when the economies of the world start functioning better, still good to buy right now I think. Other's could be a bit better banking system, but lets see. if i have other ideas shortly i will post. whats your thoughts on the best sector and company?
0 Kudos
26 REPLIES 26
topgun
Super Contributor
1) VMK - should declare a 15cps divi in April'11, currently trading on an estimated forward PE <4 at 130cps; 2) SOH - highly geared to economic recovery and will benefit from a buoyant copper price, forward PE <5; and 3) PNC, the acquisition of Axiz will lift turnover by 50% with significant scope for margin improvement - trading on a forward PE of 5.5x at 620cps.
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Duel listed shares.... BTI, CSO, CCO, BHP, SAB etc
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
Sorry for company, One of the large diversifieds or just the STX. My relatively ***** Quants model is saying AMS, ACL & LON are Buys and KIO & GFI as Shorts. It doesn't work well in low Volatility though, works exceptionally well when things are all over the place. OMO
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
China is projecting sales of 20 million cars next year: Platinum.
0 Kudos
BoburUncle
Regular Contributor
Copper! MTX, BIL, AGL. Maybe small caps gold like CRD
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I have quite a few banks, i agree that they will start to do well again. I also like shipping/transport (GND) as they will pick up once economic activity increases and have shipping rates rise again.
0 Kudos
Castro1
Contributor
Go for anything industrial eg Satrix indi lifted from 2154c (Dec 2009 ) to 2170 May 2010 and recently to 2656c, that an increase of 22 % in a few month , and it will continue as economy improves in the next 12 - 24 months. Otherwise go Capitec, there still lots of growth ... they are about half way in rolling out their branches. Its will be a while before the other bank catch up . market does not trust the other bankc new prodcuts that were to compete with CPI. MassMart also good for retail sector. WEZ long for mining. Regards Castro
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
Bank_Street
New Contributor
Platinum - near term production + Construction - have you seen Steffstocks P/E ? 5.5x - the cheapest (next to Basil Read), but better long term prospects + africa
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
My pick is 2 shares only 1> VOD 2> MTN
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
gold shares. Finally. GLD will be a gainer tho prob not as good as some other shares. also SOL, UUU
0 Kudos
MarkD
Contributor
I like AVI and Mr Price. Looking at Retail. Also like GND - picked it up today.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
PE = 5.62 DY = 5.53%. Mkt cap = R2.2 Billion, CASH = R1.15 Billion. Cycle bottoming??? Eish!!!
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
60% of SATRIXIND is made of the following: CFR (14%), MTN (16%), NPN (10%), SAB (20%). Why not buy just these stocks. you can research and watch them better.
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Don't be fooled by construction companies'cash - it is not free cash, as usually it is locked up as security for loans. But ja, given everyone's love affair with SSK, it will be my top pick out of the construction sector, runner up is BSR
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I think it is still going to take a couple of years for GND to really fly. Rand is strengthening further (which has a huge impact on their margins) and spot shipping rates are still falling. The impact of the latter is that their long term contracts will come in lower again next year. What I really like about GND is their strategic positioning and integration into the value chain (ports, bunkering, trading, etc). I think it is a bit overvalued at the moment, and will probably pull back about 15% (IMO), but I will steadily accumulate every chance I get. A good quality low risk investment, IMO
0 Kudos