Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

For the Buffett fans - New authorised biography released...

Werner_1
Super Contributor
Guys, this book looks quite interesting, mine was shipped from the UK yesterday, cannot wait for it to come! Buffett says: "Life is like a snowball, the important thing is finding wet snow and a really long hill." - http://www.randomhouse.com/bantamdell/snowball/
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
louisg
Super Contributor
Thanx Werner, am looking forward to reading it. He just makes so much sense, common sense that is. If only common sense was common...
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I read the reviews on amazon.com... Warren seems quite an interesting person, very private though... it will definately make for a good read!
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
The Essays of Warren Buffett and "The Warren Buffett Way" are excellent reads. "Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist" is also very good. My first choice would be "The Essays of Warren Buffett" by Lawrence A. Cunningham.
0 Kudos
surfer
Regular Contributor
I think mr buffets speaks so much truth which shows up the whole asset managemnt industry
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Yes, Buffett is very interesting to listen to... Louis, i also have and read "The Essays of Warren Buffett" very interesting. I also got the books from Bengamin Graham, "Securities Analysis" and the likes.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Werner do you consider yourself a long term investor or do you prefer to trade short term?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I started off with long term investing, to be honest the long term has treated me very well since starting in 2005, so yes, i consider myself a long term investor, even though i did play around with some warrants and ssf, by primary portfolio is long term, trading is only 10% of the total portfolio, if that much.
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
The end of the world as we know it. Yes.and the start of a better one! This was a very interesting presentation i went to Wednesday.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I'm ready for the next world to start, hopefully it involved what warren would call "wet snow and a very long hill".
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
LOL werner if you were an alien from MARS and compared USA economy with Asia you will see which world is ending and where the new world is emerging from. Some interesting facts - Average american saves -1% average asians saves 45%. There is a big black hole and it is only surfacing now.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
and i think our saving rate is not actually that good either.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
How have you fared on the trading side? Do you trade for profit or intellectual curiosity/entertainment.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
My aim is to trade for profit, in the beginning it went actually very well, then when the real bad trouble came when the commodities declined (i had some BIL) it too*****nock and i think my plan needs some tweaks to get it working better. So right now i am only holding some GRT SSF, but will try to build the portfolio up over time, but am taking it slow at the moment...
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
The way the US economy is going? Warren is about to lose his shirt and George is going to take it... except Warren is is buying 'offshore'...
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
He just did big deals with Goldman Sacks and GE (both American companies). He has great faith in the USA economy, in the long term. He is however diversifying offshore.
0 Kudos