Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

For the doctors and active googlers out there.

saash
Super Contributor
I'm experiencing terrible pain in my right wrist - the mouse hand. It started off just little, for a few days, then gone. But I'm finding its getting worse, and is hurting on exertion when I steer, type, mouse, and all kinds of other activities. The pain is starting to creep up my arm. Is it a sports injury, maybe - I play a bit of golf and Q-sports (clearly, its also painful when I'm shooting pool). Or is this an ergonomics injury - what can be done to sort it out?
0 Kudos
23 REPLIES 23
Not applicable
Try using the mouse with the other hand
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
roll a dishcloth into a tube and rest your wrist on it while working with a mouse (to lift your wrist up). It has something to do with the positioning of the hand.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Also try to take breaks, e.g. on weekends try use a mouse as little as possible. If you have a notebook, use the trackpad for a while. Sometimes a couple days is enough to reset it.
0 Kudos
zudy
Contributor
Try and move the mouse from your shoulder to reduce the repetitive strain on the wrist
0 Kudos
NJ_1
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
lol - thanks guys :-) It could be the masturbating, mind you. But not the gout!
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
For the timebeing, the dishcloth is really helping :-)
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Welcome, I actually found a mousepad with the bump built in. Looks weird but works for me.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
It sounds like a repetitive strain injury - somewhat akin to "Tennis Elbow". Usually when you use a mouse you "lock" yr wrist & put it under stress - a mild form of "Carpel Tunnel" syndrome. the angle of yr wrist also will exacerbate the stress on yr wrist joint. So the dishcloth simply levels yr wrist to the top of yr had, alleviating the mechanical stresses involved. Take a break, use your shoulder or elbow to move yr mouse, use a touch pad etc etc - all only address the symptoms - TOO MUCH PC time is the cause that & age !!! lol
0 Kudos
dijon
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos
Heli
Contributor
To stop creeping up your arm - kill the mouse!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
& if you want to really cure yr pain, translocate it by spending a small fortune on a Golf Pro to re-engineer yr swing...lol The resulting frustration will keep yr mind off yr sore wrist.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
LOL...very funny Divz.Nice giggle for the start of my day.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
LOL...very funny Divz.Nice giggle for the start of my day.
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
You could also buy a 10 pin bowling wrist strap, it keeps the wrist on the straight and narrow.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Can see none of you are doctors, not one of you asked what medical aid was involved and where you could send the invoice!
0 Kudos