Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

For the youngsters out there

stores
Super Contributor
The acid test..A story I have wanted to talk about for a long time. I will do it now and hope that the younger gereration read it...My Dad who is now 86 and cannot see anymore, started investing in the market when us kids were young, small bits into the market each year. He worked on the mines in Zimbabwe, as a compound manager looking after the living conditions and welfare of about 1500 mine employees...He today has a share portfolio today worth more than $1 million...I have to do his weekly update for him as he cannot see or read any more...The main reason he has this wealth is because he never ever sold a share he bought...He could not get to grips with the commission it would cost him for for selling...He has been through about 4 or 5 major major corrections in the market, over the many years, but still held onto his stock. He has about 56 shares in his portfolio...I luckly, have convinced him to only buy STX40's now with the serious dividends he receives from his +50 years in the market.
0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
barry_1
Super Contributor
GREAT story.In the old days holding produced better income for me than the now rapid churn of shares.i've been in the market ove 40 years mysef.
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
What the heck is he buying ANY SHARES etc for at his age and stage? At this point a R3000.00 bottle of wine every couple of days sounds like a must have - that with the caviar... I do think you have to approach this with one eye of the particular background of the events over this period. 56 shares - sounds like he has bought the investable market. But 10 /10 for his discipline.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
yeah, he should use the dividends to inflate his "other portfolio"....but great story, keep it up
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
Nice that you can still have quality time with your dad. Just a great story.
0 Kudos
Prestonmyhusban
Regular Contributor
I guess the secret for your dad success is that he avoided all the noise and kept with his strategy.
0 Kudos
Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
been investing now for 40 years-it has been a full time job now for 17 years.this proves its not timing the market but time in the market that counts.may he enjoy his wealth for as long as he has left
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
been investing now for 40 years-it has been a full time job now for 17 years.this proves its not timing the market but time in the market that counts.may he enjoy his wealth for as long as he has left
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos