Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Forex

S2000
Contributor
I have been trading equities for a few years now and am starting to educate myself now on spot forex. Would appreciate people making recommendations on Forex Brokers based on their experience
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
my recommendation = don't
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
I also agree, spot on
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
rather learn to play blackjack really well. the odds are better.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I dont see any difference between trading futures and trading forex. There are people making a living from it. One of time being on Simons website Justonelap...he uses Pepperstone. Ive only opened a demo account with them but the service has been good.

Before you decide to go with a broker just double check them on forexpeacearmy.com
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Why is it that you guys recommend that people stay away from Forex? Is it just because of the ridiculous gearing or are there some other reasons? You can ask for lower leverage from certain brokers.And if you implement proper position sizing and money management it should be the same as trading any other instrument? or am I missing something?
0 Kudos
Pepi
Regular Contributor
I would ask similar questions as TraderRoss, so if you apply good money management then whats the problem. i realise you guys mean well though. With the huge $4 Trillion market your S/L should always be covered. Or what???. Come Simon, give us the full story.
0 Kudos
Pepi
Regular Contributor
realize
0 Kudos
S2000
Contributor
I agree with TraderRoss, forex is just another instrument to be traded albeit with a different set of rules. Cash management and risk rules still apply though.
0 Kudos
S2000
Contributor
I agree with TraderRoss, forex is just another instrument to be traded albeit with a different set of rules. Cash management and risk rules still apply though.
0 Kudos
S2000
Contributor
I agree with TraderRoss, forex is just another instrument to be traded albeit with a different set of rules for entries, exits etc. Cash management and risk rules still apply though.
0 Kudos
S2000
Contributor
I agree with TraderRoss, forex is just another instrument to be traded albeit with a different set of rules for entries, exits etc. Cash management and risk rules still apply though.
0 Kudos
S2000
Contributor
0 Kudos
S2000
Contributor
forgive the duplications, guess the URL error message was a conspiracy by a bl**dy agent
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
You were right the first time....
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
truth is most people don't trade equities very well (albeit they jump straight in with derivatives and burn out) .. as you up the gearing you wipe out quicker .. further extra gearing is like driving your car at 200 instead of 100 .. sure at 100 it easy, but at 200 you gonna burn ..
what I don;t get is the attraction of FX, why does everybody wanna trade it ?? ya liquidity, spread etc .. but then we have ALSI
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I trade ZAR/US$ on the SBK platform. Costs R570 per contract vs R2820 or R28200 for ALSI.for a gearing of 16 times vs 30 times for the ALSI. I have a far better "feel" for where the ZAR is going from day to day vs shares and have made in excess of 100% in the past year but have lost money on trading shares and only made money with my buy-and-hold shares. Each to his own. It is all just trading/position sizing/money management. I am too nervous to trade forex with brokers who offer 400 times gearing.
0 Kudos
S2000
Contributor
I have traded derivatives and done ok, up over all. Barrier to entry on index's is far too high, rand value per contract. Currencies move faster, shorter time in market. Agreed higher gearing is higher risk but the barrier to entry is lower and the high liquidity makes it very attractive
0 Kudos