Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Funny little consistent buys??

crowe
New Contributor
Can somebody please explain to me why somebody would do the following.... i been watching woolies all day and have noticed a consistent purchase of 43 shares literally every 5 to 10 minutes. why??? is this person trying to achieve something?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
I see similar kinds of buys all the time (on other shares) - odd/small purchases - with costs it doesn't make sense. Hope you get and answer!!!
0 Kudos
Mar-11
Super Contributor
it doesnt add to costs (as long as trading one way)....could maybe very large buyer that wants to get in on average price, and doesnt not want to move/shock the mkt with massive qty buy order
0 Kudos
crowe
New Contributor
so u saying that if i wanted to purchase 1000 shares i could purchase them in increments of 50 all day and it would cost the same as having purchased just 1000 once off?
0 Kudos
WES
Super Contributor
Maybe trying to trigger a stop loss, they don't want to buy a huge number of shares when triggering someone's stop loss
0 Kudos
sasa
Regular Contributor
Correct. Trading costs & brokerage charged once daily, so if you buy the same share 10 times in a day, only 1 brokerage charge
0 Kudos
Mar-11
Super Contributor
for that to be true surely each transaction would have to be on a lower low of the day(inorder to trigger any meaningful stop), further to that, if the little trades are consistent buys, the trade is meeting a offer( ie a trade will take place at that price and trigger stops regardless, cause someone else would pick up the offer or have to sell down to even lower bid), if some one trying trigger a stop would be selling down, making new low....
0 Kudos