Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Future Tense

Wizard
Super Contributor
Could we see Julius Malema be a candidate for the presidency in the 2019 elections and the enforcement of the Zim style reforms?
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Of course yes.Remember this is Africa. The majority still have nothing due to the fat cats creaming it and what is left is skimmed milk. One only has to look north and see the result of countries that have had independence for decades are still out there with the begging bowl.Angola's well connected have skimmed billions of dollars from the coffers, and that unfortunately is the modus operandi in Africa.
0 Kudos
Whatsup
Contributor
That is true, unfortunately the uneducated (compounded by the lowering of educational standards to make the pass rate look good)will buy the story of free this and free that from a smooth talker without any idea of how these promises will be funded. The people that are toy toying about service delivery will not use their vote intelligently and vote for the opposition, they will return the ruling party who will continue to pillage, its an African thing.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Seriously, if they could put Zuma in the presidency, anything's possible. Try to think of any country you vaguely respect putting somebody with his level of honesty and education anywhere near a leadership position. Wouldn't happen.
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
at least we KNOW our leaders are corrupt. The US and UK are no better its just not as obvious there that they are feathering their own nests.
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
Any of you heard about the training? Young men being sought for "life-skills" training I hear. This killing of the boer thing is apparently catalysing some core hardening. Sow, reap. sow, reap etc.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Of course they're better. Our lot promote crooked behaviour and dismantle the best anti-corruption outfit we've got, whereas at least in the US if they catch someone doing something bad, they nail them like they did in Watergate. They haven't dismantled the FBI, they use them.

Try to think of what would happen if any politician in the US or UK was accused of rape AND corruption. Would they ever get into power? Even in Italy, the place that invented the Mafia and hardly a bastion of honest politicians, they're finally going after Burlesconi.

To excuse our own leaders because there every other country isn't perfect is to do ourselves a great disservice.
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
The trouble is, when I wake up most mornings, the Sun is shining and that makes me feel good all day. I spend two weeks in the UK under a grey sky and I am depressed enough to fly home.
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Yes, it's a fact that once a person has power it's only a matter of time before they start abusing it, that's why presidents etc, should only be there for a few years,otherwise Egypts, Libya and the shambles in Africa is the result.The English MPs were caught with their fingers in the till, but their inflating their expense account by a few hundred to few thousand pounds is less than petty cash in the scheme of things, compared to the billions not millions siphoned into private accounts on this continent.Be wise and have a little something in another continent if you can afford it,it's better than an insuarance policy
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
and the JSE cintinues to make new highs and the rand....
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
That's why I'm beginning to fly with the swallows and enjoy the best of both worlds, and if winter (Malema type croonie elected) sets in this country for good, then the swallows will have to fly back on their own, Ijust hope I don't live that long to see it happen, because happen it will.
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
- Good to see a political current affairs thread on this forum for a change. There is no end to the destruction and ruination this ANC govt. are inflicting on this country. On every possible count they have failed miserably. The current scenario of 10% of
0 Kudos
Whatsup
Contributor
The South African version, Moses said to the people pick up your shovel, get on your camel and I will take you to the promised land. When Mandela was released he said put down your shovel, light up a camel, this is the promised land. Hence ever since, the people expect to get everything for free.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
On the day should be very easy for Malema..just tell the poor that they will have piece of the pie of he gets and most of the votes will go his way. Another Castro revolution as such. Then he can be dictator for the rest of his life. What matters to us is diversification..offshore!
0 Kudos
Plonky
Super Contributor
You guys are scaring me....I am overseas in Brazil at the moment. I hav been here now for three months and I am out of touch regarding the RSA political scene. It is truly amazing to hear that Malema may be considered for a Presidential role.... I will return in three months time. I hope there will be something to come home to...
0 Kudos