Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Future of dividend funds

superstar
Regular Contributor
Can anyone advise what is the future of dividend funds (Satrix Divi and others). ABSA has closed their Dividend Income Fund and I know another one MANCA that will be closing theirs.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
partridge
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
gamma
Contributor
Dividend income funds and high dividend yielding funds (eq. Satrix Divi) are different beasts. Dividend income funds were created to provide tax efficient income streams. This was done by essentially investing in fixed income assets, and swapping out their interest yield for dividends earned by pension funds, as pension funds are not taxed. Obviously the pensions funds charged an small fee for the privilege of accessing the dividend stream while receiving an interest stream in return (tax free for them, plus a fee that that they charged). Under the old dividend tax regime, investors in dividend icome funds would thus receive the dividends from the fund, which would be tax free in the invesotr's hands. SARS has closed this apparent loophole and hence the closure of dividend income funds. There are UT funds that follow a high dividend yield approach to investing and invest in a portfolio of high dividend yielding stocks (a value strategy) - Satrix Divi for example.
0 Kudos
superstar
Regular Contributor
Thank you Gamma, I appreciate your response. Now with the new Withholding Tax on Dividends, does Satrix Divi still make sense to invest into? ANy opinions on the product after the WTD?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Most of the return on stxdiv has been price not DY.. The dy actually modest .. An the stock dy is the methodology and that remains in force, so I would say no impact, beyond a slightly lower post tax yield ..
0 Kudos