Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

GDP?

eddy66
Super Contributor
What time is the data gonna be released?
0 Kudos
30 REPLIES 30
timba
Frequent Contributor
11:30
0 Kudos
Not applicable
which shares will be most affected (by going up or down) if the GDP shows we are in a recession or not?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
any news?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Q1 q/q .. -6.4% vs expected 3.9% .. official we have been in a recession ..
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
The news is gloomy. South Africa is in recession for the first time in 17 years after gross domestic product (GDP) contracted in the first quarter. GDP fell an annualised 6.4%, after dropping 1.8% in the final quarter of 2008, Statistics South Africa said. Rand fell on the news.
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
S.AFRICA'S Q1 GDP -6.4 PCT SEASONALLY ADJUSTED, ANNUALISED QTR/QTR (CONSENSUS -3.9 PCT) - STATS S.A. S.AFRICA Q1 GDP CONTRACTION BIGGEST FALL SINCE 1984, CONFIRMS FIRST RECESSION SINCE 1992 S.AFRICA Q1 GDP -1.3 PCT UNADJUSTED YR/YR (CONSENSUS -0.2 PCT) - STATS S.A. S.AFRICA Q4 GDP UNREVISED AT -1.8 PCT, Y/Y UNREVISED AT +1.0 PCT S.AFRICA Q1 AGRIC Q/Q GDP AT -2.9 PCT, MINING -32.8 PCT, FINANCE -2.3 PCT, MANUFACTURING -22.1 PCT S.AFRICA Q1 WHOLESALE, RETAIL TRADE SALES Q/Q GDP AT -2.5 PCT, CONSTRUCTION +9.4 PCT STATS SA SAYS CONTRACTIONS IN MINING, MANUFACTURING BIGGEST DECLINES ON RECORD
0 Kudos
gamma_spike
Frequent Contributor
there is no way this news is good.....
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Think that will convince Mr. Mboweni to give us another 1%?
0 Kudos
eddy66
Super Contributor
Don't think there's any doubt that it will be 1%,might be 1,5..?
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
No surprises here! Got a trade union meeting tommorow one of the topics is the "restructuring" of the organisation. I hope they're offering retrenchment packages. Then I'll have more capital for SSFs.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
and look how we (the people who are short) are happy :-)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
lag effect of S.A when compared to the world? Or is this the worst we will see? Becareful of hope... but i hope the rates don't go down any further, it's hurting the compound interest portfolio i'm trying to get going...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Watchout, landslide coming your way. Fireworks.
0 Kudos
eddy66
Super Contributor
I'm also short,but AGL is holding up much better than the rest.Looks ver strong to me,a bit concerned...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
same here eddy, atleast my knock on mtn is getting covered up.
0 Kudos
eddy66
Super Contributor
it's funny how it works.I could've shorted pretty munc anything else and would've beem better off!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Eddie, paitience is still key. But as a matter of interest could you tell the rest of us what you are invested in so we can get out or stay away ;-) seems everything you hold goes opposite so i guess if we all just follow your investments (or stay out of them) we will do great.... On a more serious note are you at least recovering your portfolio losses yet?
0 Kudos
eddy66
Super Contributor
CPS,I can use the rest of you as a hedge it seems :) I have not recovered my losses yet,cause I made such costly mistakes.Trading 101 - never take a big loss,well Eddy took a huge loss,twice!!The biggest mistake I cam make now is to try and recover those losses quickly.If I listen a little more to good advise 2 weeks ago I could've recovered those losses by now.After the sappi fiasco I shorted Agl and were up 70k when it traded at 186.What I should've done was to reverse my position.Would've been in the green by now.The beauty of hindsight.Note all the would've and could'ves,never a good thing.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
We always run about a year behind the USA economy.
0 Kudos