Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

GFI sens market likes

Not applicable
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
kr_pto
Super Contributor
Did anyone else not get this SENS come through on the PRICE STREAMER? I was disconnected at the time, so I am guessing it doesnt refresh past SENS notices once you reconnect, on ones that come through when you are online? if so, bit of a design flaw in my view. same thing applies to the graphs. you have to close down the whole price streamer or else manually close and reopen each graph.
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
excuse my ignorance, but why is barrick selling GFI shares a positive signal for GFI?
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
confirmed. close PS down and reopen, and SENS is there. so simply a feed issue that it is not retro feeding SENS (or chart info) (i.e. anything historic) that happens while connection is down. in one way makes sense (esp for chart info), but is a pity none-the-less.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Cos they kick it off with "Gold Fields is pleased to announce". One time shoe shine
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
well spotted. but that does seem a bit like reading a lot into a few words?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I've never seen a "Pleased to announce... Liquidation" or "Dismayed to announce... Great profits" so in short: no. One time shoe shine.
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
fair enough. :) anyone know then why the would be so pleased to get rid of barrick?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
hmmm. Have been polling for a more credible answer and have come up with the following theory: Gold fields owns 50% of South deep and Western areas owns 50%, but... Gold fields owns 34.7% of Western areas. So in effect Goldfields owns 84.7% of South deep... Phew... Now, Barric operates South deep, and by selling shares in Gold fields have effectively given them sole mandate of the mine. Maybe. Maybe this is crap.
0 Kudos
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
Cr@p. Barrick already sold their 50% in Southdeep to GFI. Paid in shares and cash. More to do with overhang of shares taken off market easily enough by someone willing to buy the shares.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
OK, yeah, Barricks holding in GFI was only 3%. Fundamental schmundamental
0 Kudos
zizi
New Contributor
Here's another (plausible?) theory. The dumping has taken place over the last few weeks by Barrick. The market didn't have enough demand to support the price while absorbing the stock. With Barrick "the big bear" in the woods, all of the little bears felt confident. With the resulting oversupply, the bulls simply couldn't keep up and the result was the annoying tumble we've seen in the past few weeks. In a nutshell, the sens announcement states that the big bear has left the woods.
0 Kudos
zizi
New Contributor
Here's another (plausible?) theory. The dumping has taken place over the last few weeks by Barrick. The market didn't have enough demand to support the price while absorbing the stock. With Barrick "the big bear" in the woods, all of the little bears felt confident. With the resulting oversupply, the bulls simply couldn't keep up and the result was the annoying tumble we've seen in the past few weeks. In a nutshell, the sens announcement states that the big bear has left the woods.
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
who gives a sh@$t let it climb boys !!
0 Kudos
Plonky
Super Contributor
That's the spirit Hennie. ***** the fundamentals, go for gold !!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
jo plonkey i thought u on holiday ?
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
hennie, frankly i do. from a TA basis, sure, you dont need to know. but i would also like to understand why for better long term/fundamental understanding. but i realise your post was probably more tongue in cheek anyhow :)
as for me, got out today at 21, but not because of any valid reason. was trying something out to catch an intraday movement that didnt work out. get back in? not sure yet. would prob have been happy to stay in on price action of GFI itself, but am not loving the $gold price right now. trying to protect capital a bit too to finally reach my end May target (after a bad bout beginning of May). omo
0 Kudos
Not applicable
GFI stood proud in the States...and anticipative Point and Figure sees 4 Xs appear(at the Close Thursday) on the GFI SA Chart = Demand registering = any pull-backs will see Big-Boy Buyers coming in.(R120).They can also see the price vs 70-wk MA as Value.The weakening Rand will also add Support....merely an opinion.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Uh...just one last thing before I meet the M.I.B. at dawn...the 70wk MA is Resistance at R134.( some healthy upside possible over short-term.).Adios.
0 Kudos