Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

GLD

Russ
Super Contributor
What's happened to the good old gld debate?Gold going well;as soon as the rand starts weakening,which it should do any day now,gld will get going again.It is still in its bull channel,after all.
0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
should .. would .. could ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ja, stick to buying Vukile instead, at least you get an income return
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
if all the gold in the world was put together it would make a cube 67 feet in each direction .. an you could charge people a dollar or so to see/touch it ..
inversely the cost of all that gold would buy you the 20 largest companies in the SP500 .. which would you rather have ?? an amusement attraction or 20 largest multinationals ??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I'd take the gold! And then not have to go to all those boring AGMs. Plus I'd be able to corner the market.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ja, but if I had been given the option to buy the 20 largest multinationals 20 years ago, or the 67ft gold cube, which would I have chosen (assuming the gold cube comes with free delivery) and my wife doesn't complain that the new fangled garden ornament blocks my sea view, and no longer leaves enough room for the olympic sized swimming pool
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
Now appears as a consolidation phase for resources with some downside risk from fear of more inflation controls. Cluck phase (chicken - cluck - egg). Since the only known outcome of QE is inflation, and the evident over-pricing of the general equity market, it follows to buy any commodity dips and watch as rates increase to go short on any bond rally. Gold has apparently been given a currency hedge role whilst QE (incl bailouts) continues. It seems , in theory, that if QE approaches infinity so does the gold price. So any evidence (sentiment) of halt or curb to QE (and bailouts) is the risk to gold bulls.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
rotflmao .. you okes would really take the gold ??
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Simon,your SAP 500 is at exactly the same level it was at 5 years ago.GLD is a 4-bagger in the same period.I'll go with the amusement attraction,thank you.
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
*yawn* going sideways. Gold is one of those strange animals. When it moves if you not onboard you can miss the move. The rest of the time it sits there doing nothing trying your patience.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well no .. top 20 of SP500 - not entire index .. an frankly forget growth, tis the distribution I'd be liking ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The rest of the time it sits there doing nothing trying your patience sounds like a ring on a spouses finger or that chain mom-in-law got around the neck?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Morning...at GLD R91.50..yeah, let's add some more.Build that position.Point and Figure updates this fine day with a NEW supply signal.R91 flat is where she kicked the last BUY signal back in September.R90 remains Support.So, there you go...still a Dipper-Buy. Last buy(if possible) at R90.20.. and that will be that at 6500cfds total, and waiting for Santa to give me Chinese eyes.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
all i see on GLD is lower highs and lower lows = sell ..
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
GLD is one thing that you cant trade well from technicals. In fact its prob harder to trade than teh ZAR:USD.
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
The CFTC Commissioner has stated that the prices are being manipulated in the silver market. 17th Dec 2010...http://tinyurl.com/2b9o4mj With no transparency there is no limit to what is being manipulated, but it appears that doors are now being forced.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Also a nasty little H+S formed.Keep an eye on it.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
GLD-related Charts updated:Weeklies(coz the Institutions use those.) Rand-Dollar sees support at 7.35 and that's a 6.02% downside till said Support ## $Gold sees $1324 as Support, and that translates as 3.28% downside potential.Conclusion: Since the Rand sees more downside,and since the Rand is more powerful when figuring its impact on GLD.This also acts a limiting factor to GLD falling below R90.PS: the 50wk Moving Average( which has acted as Support all thru 2010) on GLD is at R89.93.....patience and price.Ref:stockcharts.com>>>Plug and Play.
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
Hindenburg Omen http://tinyurl.com/35jz4oz has reappeared this week on 2 consecutive days. 3 strikes and a general sell off?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nah .. it ahs a prdictive rate of some 10% .. the trick is that every crash saw one before hand .. but seeing it doesn't mean a crash .. so largely useless ..
0 Kudos