Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

GOLD DIGGERS

Not applicable
Following this latest rally in the USD gold price, everyone seems to be jumping into GLD HAR etc but these shares tracks mostly the ZAR/oz price which is totally a different picture compared to the USD/oz. IMO the rallies in HAR GFI is only due to temporarily predictable volatilty sparked by sentiment. My opinion: when gold hits 1200, dont expect HAR to be R120. Or am I wrong?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Not applicable
It seems to be tracking the dollar gold price. If that keeps on shooting up I don't think Harmony will be far behind.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The rand weakened last week and it didn't even effect gold shares. We actually went down in that period. Yesterday we went mad after gold broke through 1040. So therefore, why you guys worried about R/gold, just ride it up for now!!! We should test 1100 fairly soon imo. If harmony breaks above 92 then we have easy 97 on the cards. If we break 100, then we have an easy 110 on the cards. Easy money me thinks ;P
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
correct, local market is focusing on gold in USD .. rand headache will sink in eventually, unless it weakens which is unlikely .. but for now tis being ignored .. so just trade the price ..
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Gold shares in SA are driven by sentiment based on the Gold price only at the moment. Remember that when trading gold shares, because it means that it can become frothy quickly resulting in volatility and increased risk. Thus a short term play and not favourites of many big long term players.
0 Kudos