Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

GREEN

kwagga
Super Contributor
Finally some green on my screen. Let's cherish this moment while it last.
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
WES
Super Contributor
The employment figures due out from the USA this afternoon hopefully will keep it green
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Green does look so good :p
0 Kudos
Barend_1
Occasional Contributor
Are you optimistic about the figures being released today?
0 Kudos
JPDR1
Contributor
What time is the announcement?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Unfortunately the only green I see at the moment is the names of the forumites...I really need to work on that portfolio of mine!!
0 Kudos
Terra
Super Contributor
2:30pm Non-Farm Employment Change ? -106K 431K 2:30pm Unemployment Rate ? 9.8% 9.7% Analysts are bracing for a jobs report on Friday that -- in contrast to the more positive past employment data of this year -- is expected to range somewhere between bad and plain awful.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
My S&P short equals the value of my long-term SA share portfolio, so the only way I can lose now as a nett result is if the SA market falls proportionally more than the S&P.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Hi Vitorc. Which platform and product do you use to trade the S&P?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
or if the S&P gains more than the JSE?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
GT247. Spread and broker markup too rough for day trading, but perfect for a lazy trade derivative with only few trades per month. A whole heap of instruments from commodities to currencies.
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
Just FYI for everyone out there. I have a GT247 account. Their spreads (mostly) are VERY heavy. But if you only have local money its an easy way to play $ based comods & currencies in ZAR terms.
0 Kudos
gamma_spike
Frequent Contributor
I trade extensively through GT247. The spreads are the best you can get in SA. Very happy
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
cheapest in SA being the phrase. The spread on the alsi is generally 13-21 points. If you buy at R10 per point that makes R130-R210 the cost of a trade. Vs R14.50 (x2) on SBK? Take the VIX. The value is somewhere around 32.0. The spread is 1.1 of 32.0!!!! Thats INSANE. Okay ill stop ranting now
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
I base my calcs on the Dow so I might as well trade it! Any idea when OST is going to offer the Dow and S&P indices?
0 Kudos
gamma_spike
Frequent Contributor
trade costs some down depending what account setup and capital you have. And scope for negotiation.
0 Kudos