Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Generators

Dutch
Frequent Contributor
Any ideas for a generator for home use? Cost? People say Honda is the make to buy.
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
Preston
Super Contributor
ABout R6000 to R8000. Petrol however is expensive.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
a diesel 7 kw with convertion total k 12 ( run a average house hold including geyser )
0 Kudos
Hedgehog
Frequent Contributor
Be carefull of bogus electricians and cheap installations - You may save a few bucks but find yourself or your family electrocuted.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Bought one this morn from Ellies the tv guys for about 4500.It looks ok and it comes with electric start .( 3000 watt)
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
isn't electric start a spot of a problem whent he power goes? Or is it pizza electric? Also peoples make sure you get a regulator or somethign to ensure nice clean power otherwise you may fry electronic thingies.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
LOL @ Simon ,good thing ur not a mechanic ,you'll go bust within a week LMAO
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Me thinks generators should be exempt from VAT... besides what happens when we run out of petrol?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Can that be arranged? Me mother in law sez she wants one..
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Not exempt from vat.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
lol. exactly. watch out for this next instalment of juicy news as SA doesn't have the necessary refining capacity in place to supply the additional fuel needs.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Surely, there should be some kindofa special law which allows you to kill cretins? Kinda like the law the allows you to run over cyclists?
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
If SA runs out of petrol, we can always use TopGun contacts in Zimbabwe.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Hey Brazen..not to worry..All documented in ZUMA agenda. It is just a matter of time before me dad gazzete that law.
0 Kudos
attackcat
Contributor
That law is ready to roll - the only thing that keeps it from being gazetted is lack of clarity on how one defines a cretin. For myself, I would go with a fairly broad definition, but of course that could rather cut into one's day. The advantage with cyclists is that you can get 4 or 5 of them at once, on your way to work.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Investigated this yesterday: Honda 5kVA Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR) generator - R12000. AVR ensures you get a smooth delivery of power without spiking, lowering your chances of a blown computer, TV or hi-fi. Installation R5000. Small price to pay to get through all the frustration we're all about to experience in the coming years.
0 Kudos
WBuffet
Contributor
See http://www.powerforafrica.co.za. The offer some sound advice on the buying considerations before the plunge.
0 Kudos
Rohitht
Contributor
Ever thought of inverters???
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
OR generate a visa to OZ for R9000!
0 Kudos
Champ_golfer
Frequent Contributor
JSE has got stacks of oil and petrol stored in central JHB to last for a while Ever heard of Iphones or blackberries to use to trade forex or online shares, can even use them in Botswana where u have no proper networks, just use broadband sattelite dial-up connection.
0 Kudos