Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Genius Business Brains needed!

Werner_1
Super Contributor
Ok, there's a new low cost airline starting operations. they're called FlySafair, by clicking the link below you will see they operate a service for return flight from CPT to JHB for about R1000, now for the debate, how long will they operate and how do you think they're going to be profitable? I have theory but want to hear yours? http://www.flysafair.co.za/Flight/Search?interline=false&fromCityCode=CPT&toCityCode=JNB&departureDa...
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
kwagga
Super Contributor
Promotional pricing @ best
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I thought maybe they have thought up an innovative way of combining their logistics business and passenger service and by making a low cost airline as well as a big cargo hold for parcels of courier companies between JHB and CPT and PE they can get efficiency and service for both, routine service for cargo and cheap flights for passengers... what do you guys think of this idea? possible?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Or do airlines already do this?
0 Kudos
Happy
Contributor
Airlines already combine cargo/passengers, but it is not very practical on smaller bodied AC and and a plane must have quick turnaround times. My thoughts are that they are dipping their toes into the passenger market as they currently have a rental fleet that is not fully utelised to its optimum.
0 Kudos
Happy
Contributor
Airlines already combine cargo/passengers, but it is not very practical on smaller bodied AC and and a plane must have quick turnaround times. My thoughts are that they are dipping their toes into the passenger market as they currently have a rental fleet that is not fully utelised to its optimum.
0 Kudos
Chopchop
Contributor
There is definitely demand since 1time went out of business, Kulula flights have been pretty much full, but it comes down to fuel efficiency. If they want to compete with Kulula they need new 737s that have lower running costs due to better fuel efficiency. If they operate older aircraft their cost per seat is always going to be higher, and they will never be able to be cheaper without going bankrupt like 1Time.
0 Kudos
Wino
Super Contributor
Safair operating the old 747-400 which went out of production, if memory serves correctly, in 2000. Kulula operating next generation and reasonably new 737-800's which are substantively more fuel efficient. A quick check, CPT - JNB return = R1300 + luggage R150 = R1450 vs Kulula at +/- R1900. It is quite a saving but I suppose it also depends on whether schedules accommodate your requirements.
0 Kudos