Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Get to know each other

Jim_Bean
Regular Contributor
Since the market is depressing I figured that we can all get to know each other a little better. Here's some questions... 1. Why do you trade? 2. How do you trade - Fundamentals or Technically? 3. What do you do from 9:00 to 17:00? I'll go! I trade to fun and to learn about markets before I start looking to make huge profits I trade on Fundamentals, and tips .... I need to do a technically course :) I'm a compliance officer .... who keeps an eye on the market!
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
geordie1
Super Contributor
I invest to survive.I do investing between 9 and 5-bit of a lie there it does not take that long.I try to find stocks with value-ie market undervalues stock and I do sell when I think market overvalues stock based on research around fundamentals.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I am a first year student studying to become a Charted accountant! I trade to gain experience, and of course for some extra cash!
0 Kudos
ws
Frequent Contributor
I am fairly new to trading, only been active for 2-3 months, trade on fundamentals and research/news,trying to make some extra money, fin manager by day
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
Matt - you doing your articles and studying or full time?? I went the articles and studying in the evening route and turned out great... It actually helps so much you learn to think out the box from day as you working and solving practical problems (training your brain and thought pattern) which is exactly what the board exams try to test.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I trade on fundamentals to establish value & TA to give me the signals 2. I farm by day 3. I am an investor so look to the long term, with "trading " up to increase portfolio value in short term 4. have been vicariously reading teh forum for last 3 years
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Hi Jim, I'm also in compliance and Corporate Governance. I trade for investment, Trying to get to grips with the technicals but usually on fundamentals, here and there on a hunch.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
im studying full time at Stellenbosch! Then im going to do my articles!
0 Kudos
Maggie
Super Contributor
1. Masochist 2. Tail on the donkey 3. As little as possible
0 Kudos
Dancing_Queen
Contributor
How do you square being a compliance officer with trading on tips . . . as the only tips worth trading worth on can be construed as insider trading?
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Jim, what aspects of compliance do you deal with?
0 Kudos
Jim_Bean
Regular Contributor
Hi Saash I'm in Treasury and Basel II compliance... What type of complaince do you deal with? Matt I'm also CA and I can say that Articles is legal Slave Labour, change your career path! Shaun thanks for keep the name of the professional up!
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
A dartboard, 10 feet of clear air, the Sunday Times Finacials share page and some shart darts I reckon....Seriously one of those is beating my portfolio by miles at the moment - i think it hit Gold Reef. Try to invest for long term based upon (my limited) understanding of fundamentals. Can only trade between 8 and 5, as thats when I haev internet.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I'm an electronics engineer. I'm investing in order to make lots of money. The excitement of making my own investment decisions also helps me to save. I have a value-oriented fundamentals-based investment style.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hey, Bruberi, I'm also a farmer.I trade because I lose less money than by farming.! Actually I'm looking for a way to achieve better returns with retirement funds than relying on Investment Consultant Parasites.
0 Kudos