Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Going , advice please

RiskitBiscuit
Occasional Contributor
Hi Gents, I'm quite new to the trading world, I want to go short today and I am looking at AMS(Amplats), I want to go short, any advice? Also when you go short there obviously has to be a buyer for those stocks you want to go short on?
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Not applicable
you picked the wrong stock to go short on - nobody ever offers short selling on AMS. Try Implats - OST should offer you a shorting option on CFD's or warrants
0 Kudos
RiskitBiscuit
Occasional Contributor
Thanks man, I haven't placed any orders yet, thank you for the advice, also, what are the top websites for up to date news on the JSE, I browse around Fin24 and money web, as well as Standard bank, but I just actually want to learn from what the more experienced guys are doing?
0 Kudos
WES
Super Contributor
I seldom go short, just make very sure when you short, your losses on s short could be unlimited, whereas on a long, if you incur a loss you will probably recover your losses. Also a short should have a very limited time.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
you will probably recover your losses unless you bought DDT at R70 in 2001, or many others that never recovered .. it about managing downside risk and knowing when you will cut that risk
0 Kudos
RiskitBiscuit
Occasional Contributor
Thank you Simon, I have visited JustOneLap, are there any other sources I can visit to improve my trading skills?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Well , if your system says short, then short you must. Just remember the stop loss. But , CFD short, you pay dividends. And futures short, well , you can't place a stop loss, so if you new, you may not be disciplined enuf to exit manually. Anyway, look to short retail stocks, if you want to short and if your system gives you a signal.
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
Long or short really makes no difference. Three things do: stop loss and discipline and discipline.
0 Kudos
manere_fortis
Frequent Contributor
Look around on Twitter if you want market info, opinions
0 Kudos