Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Going 'short'

BilboBaggins
Contributor
Hi can anyone help - how do I 'Short' an ordinary share..?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Not applicable
You can use a single-stock future (SSF). SSFs are available for most of the larger, more liquid shares. The SSF tutorial on this site should tell you all you need to know about trading them. Be very careful when going short!
0 Kudos
Vano
Regular Contributor
Bilbo, Your question indicates that you are short on experience. Pun intended, no offense intended. I advise you to refrain from shorting stocks until you are certain that you understand all the risks. Going short involves much higher risk than when buying vanilla stocks. omo.
0 Kudos
Cherry
Regular Contributor
Bilbo, you can't go short on "ordinary" shares. Only on "underlying" shares which are SSF's.
0 Kudos
BRE
Regular Contributor
Bilbo, going short on a stock means selling them. Whith ordinary stocks, you can't sell what you don't own. You can short them by buying a put warrant or a short SSF contract with the stock as the 'undelying', but both have greater risks.
0 Kudos
BilboBaggins
Contributor
Hi thanks for the help, although being 'short' on experience as you correctly suggest (we all have to start somewhere :-), I have read up a fair amount and certainly from the US literature - you can short a share as easily as you can buy one - without going the derivatives route...is that not the case here?
0 Kudos