Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Going to Junk ?

brompie
Occasional Contributor
IS this share now going the Abil way - down to junk ?
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Vince888
Regular Contributor
I dont like these guys. Trading expensive. They dont make money and long downward trend in share price, and with current difficult trading environment if they did not make money in the last few years, how on earth will they turn it around. (My Opinion) - I would rather choose coronation, PSG, Konsult, JSE, peregrin, brait, and/or even throw in Anchor capital over Cadiz anyday.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Wonder if they're not really a what Simon would call "leisure" company. The only people that seem to be making money from them is the directors receiving salaries.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
JSE & Brait not the same kind of companies - but your point is valid. If they couldn't make money in the boom - how are they going to now? I hold Coronation and Peregrine - both still doing fantastic (I also hold Brait, which I am a big believer in - but it is a holding company, not a brokerage like the others)
0 Kudos
Vince888
Regular Contributor
Thank you skaap. Sorry bout the confusion. I know that brait, JSE are not the same type of business as Cadiz, but I was trying to compare asset managers on the one hand which is what Cadiz is and the sector in which cadiz is listed as - that is investment services, and when comparing the type of business and the sector in which Cadiz operates i was trying to point out that there are many other companies to choose from other than Cadiz whether they the same type of business or listed in the same sector.
0 Kudos
Dumas
Occasional Contributor
this is looking like Quaystone; problem is it's listed. they have lost billions of funds in last few months and asset management is well below break-even. but they sit with expensive staff and systems and bad performance... gravit-y-as
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
... nothing new in expensive staff and systems - that is what makes these businesses tick. With Old Mutual PLC as shareholder this might just be their foreseeable business opportunity.
0 Kudos
Dumas
Occasional Contributor
actually OM only own 8.69% of cdz, which translates to under R18m, so can't think it's big in their lives. which if it's still in Neil Brown's portfolio is only 0.008% of the fund! Re:Cm own 22.25%. poor OM have held cdz for at least 10 years - ouch! with poor investment performance how can cdz get out of this hole?
0 Kudos