Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Gold Price in relation to Fed Meeting this friday?

Not applicable
Hi Guys, May I enquire as to your opinions (not useing the word view - lest we repeat a recent awnser I recieved about a mountain, school and road!!)on the future short term movement say 1 month and the year end closing of the gold spot price with relation to the fed meeting. Is it correct to assume that a rising tide lifts all ships, ie: QE3 would more than likely result in a upturn in equiy markets, does this upturn also equate to the gold price. Or would most investors and traders jump ship for the faster moving equities. Would a negative anouncement result in a spike in the gold price? Any chance of no package? Any views would help. many thanks.
0 Kudos
34 REPLIES 34
john_1
Super Contributor
gold is rising as investors move out of equitities... so anything that draws investors back into shares will be negative for gold...look at it like this... fear is good for gold/ qe3 = less fear
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Moving out of equitities?John,you are certainly keeping abreast of recent developments.heh
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
While there may be an initial pullback, after that gold will be the only obvious beneficiary of a "formal" QE3 as inflation fears resurface. There is no obvious solution to all of this.
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
Ascending triple top breakout on $Gold P&F shifts objective to $2090. Channel top at $2000, September. Pull back now testing support. Now its all about if QE3 will fly, which can be bad or ugly but not good.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
When Gold crossed the $1800 mark it signalled the 'Give Up' point.The system is in a deadly place.And Gold,the tiny market that it is,is now at the cusp of a parabolic rise.= MASSIVE CRISIS NOT FAR AWAY.Look at the Bond Spreads...look at the prices of CDS.It tells you.And as for Stocks...well...the 61.8% Fibonacci Retracement of the March2009 rally is ???? >>>> 21000 and some change.5000 points below.Gaaaaaa!!.....it CAN happen.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
....so,use any technical weakness in Gold to BUY.BUY.BUY.
0 Kudos
rsalie
Super Contributor
It's damned if they do and damned if they don't for QE3 ... sooner or later investors will smell the coffee that things are f*cked ... Buy Gold.
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
GLD can be patient while gold miner shares take a catch up. Be brave for Aldous.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If I was going to make a call - then I think that the rand value of gold is the place to be. No QE3 means probably no currency manipulation, means dollar will probably strengthen again. Which means rand will weaken accordingly - So I would bet on the twin effect of gold strengthening and rand weakening. Of course, if there is a QE3, I will shorte the bejeebies out of gold miners - with Harmony top of my list
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
You want to short gold shares. Good luck with that. HAR is a *****py gold mine but with the price where it is they still going to be posting better profits going forwrd. YOu may have some short term shorts that work out but id be very weary of shorting it long term.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
except the last quarter results for HAR where horrid, with best ZAR/Gold price ever ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yip. In June, Harmony would have obtained an annual average rand price of +-R9500 per ounce of gold. And they generated 223cps. At current PE of about 40, analysts are forecasting roughly 700cps for 2011. So that means that 700cps is already priced in and expected of them. What do you think will happen once that balloon is *****ed?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Now why is there such little interst in the GLD ETF? after the last weeks frantic buying? Albeit that gold has lost for the time being its lustre.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
AGL has retraced to the 50% Fib line(rally from Mar2009).ANG has only retraced 23.6%.With AMS at her 61.8% Line.Does that tell you something ? It tells me this.If you wish to buy Gold-shares for the parabolic rise ahead.THIS PERIOD of weakness coming, may well be the last call before take-off.Gold is technically overheated as at.So it should be a cook-off.The only outlier to all the above Sunshine is POLITICAL RISK.Nationalization and Malema mania.Mmmmm...close all ointment jars.Conclusion:Kruger Rands are MUCH MUCH SAFER.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ja, in fact if Malema mania does become mainstream, then we can expect a production curb - therefore a supply squeeze, therefore even higher gold prices - and a rand collapse - so a winner for Kruger rands
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
Now who let the dogs out, or was it the cat? That fiendish Moriarty and his minions I swear... ****
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
aaahhhh. The gold shares retreat. Gold is down $100 from its high. Take profits my friends(I did last week) and get ready for the next setup. Rinse Repeat. Gifts from the heavens and of course JPM et al. ANG sub 300 here we come
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yup...China has cranked up gold margin twice in Aug. thus far.Just like the engineered Silver collapse.Get ready for the Running of the Stops.##30-wk Line on GLD be the Babe !
0 Kudos
Not applicable
And chillingly,Goldman Sachs says they EXPECT the Fed to give a clear positive signal...please note...when GS says 'Yes' publicly...you move 'No'.I think Uncle Ben is going to do NOTHING and then nothing will eat up the charts until Uncle Ben and GS have mopped up all the goodies at low-low prices.Then...let's have some QE3.And so they win and win...easy.It's their video game.Wanna play ?
0 Kudos