Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Gold more expensive than platinum

stores
Super Contributor
I wonder how long this will last? Any predictions? My guess is less than a week?
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
barry_1
Super Contributor
Hi,On the whole Platinum group metals do better than gold in the recovery phase of markets as there is a demand for both industrial and precious metal uses.This condition will eventually prevail when a full recovery is on the way,which does not seem in the offing any time soon.Till then choppy trading will probably move them practically almost. in tandem
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hi Barry, problem I have with that theory is that it is infinitely more expensive to mine platinum than gold. As for gold being more expensive than platinum, the main driver for plat is the vehicle industry, which has been trying to substitute for many years now. Those R&D budgets must by now have started to yield results. But I understand that Plat is an important component in fuel cells as well? So its industrial use will always be there.
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
The long term prospects for platinum are very good. New industrial uses are being added to. There is hardly enough for consumption and a likely shortage going forward. (only enough last year because Russia sold a load) Platinum production is less than 5% that of gold annually. We could see a much higher price in the next few years.
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
funny thing Rplatinum has outperformed platinum stocks by a long short as as Rgold ouperfoming the gold stocks. something in our miners that just is not right. nationalisation perhaps?
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
On a relative value basis (relative to the gold stocks that is,) it is probaly time for the platinum counters to wake up. If gold itself breaks upwards from here, you can be pretty sure that platinum and paladium will follow. Since there are no other platinum miners worth mentioning (and given developments in Zim,) the platinum stocks will follow the metal. IMO.
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
Hi Threshhold...I agree..I think that it is now the right time to get into platinum for say a 6 month or so punt and see what happens...By the way you get your BEG's at 5 cents a couple of months ago? If so...well done
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Yes + a couple some BEP's at R1-R1,2 Managed to pick up a total of 4m shares. It seems I was a touch late on the call - but perhaps it will pull back.
0 Kudos