Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Gold purchase

Blik
Super Contributor
Morning forum. What is the easiest way tp purchase Gold - either in bars or Kruger Rands? And does Gold EFTs match the value or growth potential of actual Gold (bars / Kruger Rands) - or does the Gold EFT just track the Gold price?
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the ETf (NewGold) tracks the rand/gold price perfectly. Every 100 NewGold = 1 KR.
0 Kudos
Taurus
Super Contributor
Simon do you buy them the same way you buy any other share?
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
I think EFT's the way to go. EFT's track two things as far as I know, the spot gold price and the R/$ exchange rate. Apparently the Kruger rand and market is a little illiquid.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Taurus, yes.
An yes the KR market is very illiquid and if you buy/sell via a coin dealer you'll get nailed by very nasty comms.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
How do you know the Kruger Rand is real - the ones I have seen done appear to have any sort of "barcode" or distinguishing feature - only Oom Paul's big beard. Do they come with a certificate?
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
This may sound fairly market / SA negative (which I certainly am not) - but at least you can pack your Kruger Rands and go somewhere else and they retain value. Bummer if all you had as investment was Zim Dollars 5 years ago.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
No certificate's and when you buy in packs of 10 the offer a free plastic sleeve its much like a pick n' pay purchase , although there should be a system in place trace it back to the owner.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Blik. Look at MTX and its income composition. Gold forms some part of that. MTX has also broken out of a trading range and resistance levels yesterday. Money to be made here. omo
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Many thanks Kwagga - I hold a bit of MTX (bought ages ago) - so have done really well on that. Maybe a better way of putting the question would be: I want a Rand Hedge that will pay out in foreign currency (should I require) that is both tangible and easy to get hold of? The easiest I could think of was Kruger Rands. Are there any others? I hope this is not a stuoid question.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ETF is good. If you want the real thing, buy from a reputable dealer. Usually they charge the spot rate + R200 for purchases and the spot rate - R200 for sales, ie when you want to purchase or sell. With the ETF, you pay commission on the purchase and sale and in theory the ETF doesn't go up as quickly as the gold price because the people who run the ETF (ABSA in SA) take some commission (for payment and insurance) for looking after the gold for you. So in a static world with a gold price at R6000 for a year, at the end of the year the gold value would still be R6000, but the ETF value would be less. In a rising market like the one we have, you can't see this effect. Note that in SA you buy physical gold ex VAT and you cannot buy gold bars, not that most people can afford them at I'm guessing around R3 million per bar. Note also that there is an acid test (using real acid) that allows you to check if gold is real. If anyone knows where one can get this test, please let me know as I've been looking for a kit. I'm in Cape Town.
0 Kudos