Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Gold

Not applicable
Hi I've been looking at the Gold prices and newgold and something just doesn't add up. Currently the gold price is at about R 13000.00 per an ounce and newgold is at about R126.00 per share. The newgold share is meant to track the price of gold by 1/100 of an ounce, meaning that the price should be nearer to R130 per share. Could you all please help correct me if I'm wrong ? Because this small difference would make a big difference with the warrants
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
New gold trades in it's own right. The discount represents the illiquid nature of this market (ie the South African gold ETF market) relative to international bullion market itself. As such - the discount must been seen as valid! When demand comes through, though, GLD often outperforms the gold price. Place your bid and benefit from the spread.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Keep in mind, though, that the warrants will trade their own market too. As such they will have their own spread. That said - the market maker will be able to match the GLD price on "in the money" stuff.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
threah, not at all .. ABSA make a market in GLD, so liquidity is not an issue ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
There is also an exchange rate component. The GLD price is in ZAR and the gold price is in USD.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
I tried trading these things - they only make a market if you call them.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
So - the market that you see is valid.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Simon - you have no doubt been watching the price action closely on the RESI stuff. Any fears that this index might be in the grip of a fate not unlike that befell the CONTRUCTION sector 4 years ago?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
they there, watch a live price, you'll see them updating .. as a rule other traders get inbetween their spread ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
not fear, but certainly possible .. with a few twist and differences ..
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Not what I found. Same on the warrants! Had to contact them and they would apologise and correct the matter. Better than Investec who kept suffering from software issues. So you would leave them with a telephonic instruction and hear no more. They would call me a week later and say "your 10 000 AGL were met - so tell us when you want to do the trade and we'll suspend the market for you." That can be a bit concerning if you have cleared the position in the interim.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Or, for that matter, the same fate that befell your favourite shares, GOLD's, for the past 12 years.
0 Kudos
Sentiment
Contributor
The GLD price started out as being 1/100th of an ounce, but because ABSA is paying a custodian to keep the gold safe as well as manages the fund they help themselves to some of the gold, so every year the reference quantity of actual gold decreases by about 0.4%. That's why the price is lower than 1/100th of an ounce.
0 Kudos
Cedric_1
Contributor
Construction as a whole has been recovering. therefore can you give an opinion as to why CGR has hada 16% dip suddnely
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
beware of the 4th stage base curse!!!!
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
Dies sollte einen guten Film machen... http://tinyurl.com/6t72ulr
0 Kudos