Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Gold

CE
Super Contributor
Gold through USD670 - GFI up 1.1% (only to k@k tomorrow) and both HAR and ANG down !!!! FANTASTIC !
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
mib
Contributor
Where do you get the gold price on the website?
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
www.thebulliondesk.com Nice "gold" website with currency exchange rates as well.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Just leave gold to those who want to lose money.. there is plenty to trade without following that dog.
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
Words of a wise man my friend !!!!!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Hardly wise... my little mantra is: To make money on gold buy the Platinum miners.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
aha john I see you crossed over the the dark side - ignoring gold, all that glitters is all trouble.
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
Just have a couple of 100 HAR that I need to dump (when Absa get their servers up and running) Then gold is of my price streamer for keeps !!!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Absolutly.. More partial to the red stuff myself, Have had only one flutter into gold agaist my better jugdement and it cost me 2 fingers.
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
Me too. Deleted HAR and GFI from my watchlist and my Amibroker favourites after yet another whip that kicked me out of a trade. But I do check DRD every couple of days when I need a laugh. The only trade I might try on the golds at some point is a long-short position to play off the relative strengths of 2 of the miners - long GFI, short HAR or something like that. Should filter out the gold price. But there are other fish to fry before making things too complicated.
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
Reports about the SA gold reserves - by 2011 their will only be a few mines left.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Hi there Tango, Platinum is about to break above its long term down trend( since may ) copper is just turning north you have a new high on the Resourse 20 index and gold miners are still in a slump, My feeling, the oppertunity cost alone make it a poor trade...
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Thats fine... I have a note in my diary "Trade gold shares in 2011".... thanks
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
Look ma !!! No hands !!!
0 Kudos
Nick_1
Frequent Contributor
Still, look at the past year's graph on GFi and HAR. There are some massive runs in a couple of weeks that you dont want to miss! It is still true that buy and hold or even medium term dont work on gold, but volatility is a traders best friend!!! You just need to have impeccable timing and good cash management skills.....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Oh dear, I went long on a few HAR futures this afternoon. Maybe its because I still have all my fingers. Will see how it pans out....
0 Kudos
Bear
New Contributor
GFI issued shares in Jan/Feb. I would think that there is an over supply in the market of this share in issue, that is holding this price down. Along with this the gold producer have not brough any good news to the market except for Anglo Gold. Market sentiment on gold has been tarnished for the short while. GFI has beeen in a downward trend since November and is now range bound.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nick, for sure there have been runs in gold stocks (both ways) and one could have traded them for a profit. But I take the view that I can not trade every possible trade on the market as there are 1000's per day. So I pick my battles and gold is one I ignore.
0 Kudos
mib
Contributor
thanks CE
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I have the number of a great Docter call me when it starts to hurt.
0 Kudos