Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Golds.

barry_1
Super Contributor
GFI has shown that well managed gold shares can make a profit at lower prices....GFI cut its costs from $617 to $487 this quarter...This has given a fillup to the majors GFI,HAR and ANG....ANG in going to sell Boddington in OZ is now adding 1.9 Rand Billion to their kitty,leaving them in a position to make strategic purchases....In future i feel it won't be the gold price which that determines every move in gold shares as the result of GFI occured when the gold price was for most of the quater below $800....Now above $900 will be the cherry on top of the cake!....Smaller producers such as AFO,SIMS,GBG and DRD should also benefit.
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Shard
Super Contributor
Barry explain what you mean by lower prices?
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
The gold price per ounce for gold fell from $1100 to around $700 then started inching up from there. At that stage every gold share followed the gold price slavishly up and down ,ignoring their state of production,costs etc.In my opinion this will change to some extent as it has now been proved tha during the time that the gold price was lower,well run mines still could flourish.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
this posted a few days ago...that was a quote made by someone...interesting thing is that on my 4 year plus old watchlist of many of the big names the only green arrows are HAR and GFI....I recall this comment was made when I was suggesting HAR was a but around ZAR 50...someone i recall even said the platinums were rock solid...I think GFI is set for a move...
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
Remember, GFI reports in ZAR, Gold is in USD. What happens to USD/ZAR when gold price dives? I listened in on the tele conference for GFI results yesterday afternoon, funny thing was they actually gave this credit for there results.
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
Not challenging what you said as incorrect though, GFI has sorted out its operation after those dismal year end results.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Yes i sgree....the thing with plats is that there is an over supply at the moment and it also seems that there use in auto-catylitic converters might decline in future and at present there are also fewer autos been sold overseas.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
chartist, aren't you now doing what you accuse john of doing .. perfect 20.20 ? why not a four and a half year watch list - a completely different picture then .. neh ?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Simon have you read the MM post... Looks like a great place to short gold shares if they fail to break resistance..LOL
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Well, all I'm saying is that I told you lot to buy GFI. And once again I was right. No further discussion will be entered into. All I'm saying is that once again I was right.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
cool, brazen .. so I can leave my credit card at home ?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
See sentence three. And bring your card. That's all I'm saying.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
no Simon..cause like Roffeys says on his website...I like to predict things BEFORE they happen...of course i dont actually predict I just weight the probabilities...U and John got a thing going cause i dunno who is up whos bottom
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
you miss(dodge?) the point - why 4 years ? sure you'll say something about that just happens to be when you set up the watch list .. but it is completely arb .. 4.5 years be entirely different .. which makes the 4 years irrelevant ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ah now i see u misundertsand/I don't make myself clear...the watchlist I mention merelt as an interesting observation...not saying I said buy the golds ...I am merely saying I said buy GFI a few days ago...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
so have u and John got a thing going?...Im so jealous
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nah dude, we are so talking past each other .. lifes too short ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well what do your spies say ??
0 Kudos