Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Good news and markets go down?

Not applicable
Markets over last two or three years have been very unpredictable. Today there was good news trhat a Greek referendum would probably be abandoned and they would stay in EU, but markets are coming off. Does anyone have info on whether markets are manipulated?
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure, by the buyers and sellers .. if you looking for sense the market not the place .. never has been ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Maybe when a conclusive decision is made by Greece markets will react differently but as Simon says, do not expect the market to behave in accordance with your expectations.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Markets are opened by fools and closed by professionals. I usually judge the market from 4pm onwards
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
preston, you know the rule .. stupid market sayings need to rhyme
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Simon, i read abt this from John Carter Book. Mayi be the first to recommend his new book to you. Have a read "http://www.amazon.com/John-F.-Carter/e/B001H6NLMU/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1"
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Actually, I only know of one stupid saying that rhymes
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
I know a few but I will allow you the opportunity to go first.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Preston, I say this seriously .. you read to much (trading books) .. the answers not in any book, they in your head .. you know that, now you need to trust it ..
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Simon, i believe i have 60/40 balance in term of reading and trading application. I have a system that i am currently busy with that has trading strategy for the various type of market (Bulll,Bear ,Neutral, Violatile). What is lacking in my trading armour is that i have a miserable strike rate on shortening a share via SSF Sell. At least i do understand that if a share needs to be shortened, then i will shorten it.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Preston, if you trading derivatives and especially if you trading the ALSI, listen to what Simon is saying...his advice is genuine
0 Kudos
Not applicable
the trend is your friend, except in the end, when it bends
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
G_V_V
Super Contributor
I'll huff and I'll puff and blow your house down. If the market is allowed to be build on sand or build with cards it is bound to fall until it has a strong foundation, which is fundamentally hard work. It is not Greece, which is only 2% of Europe, that is perceived to be holding markets hostage it is the past 25 years of market extravagance that has turned market structure to straw. Fix the structure and you fix the markets. The Greeks are loving the attention of being at the center of world markets but little do they know that it is traders who are using Greece to manipulate markets up and down to make a profit.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
middle october - bears move over ('tjop 2011)
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
While politicians perform the distraction dance of the featherless pea*****, refocus now. Look out for the next tsunami wave. The interbank liquidity dust bowl giving birth to domino contagion to the over-geared global exchanges. The appropriate questions are about the probable pace and sequence.
0 Kudos
RisseN
Contributor
Um,...no,...Greece is certainly NOT enjoying being the centre of attention. Their country is in real trouble and they are not enjoying one second of it.
0 Kudos