Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Great news from Eishkom!

asylum
Super Contributor
Embattled power distributor Eskom has won the praise of government after vowing to keep rolling blackouts to a minimum by burning Zimbabwean banknotes in some of its coal-fired power stations. In a report to the Public Protector's office, handwritten by candlelight last week, Eskom committed itself to supplying the nation with electricity "equivalent to that supplied in major industrialised nations such as Bhutan and Chad." According to the report, Eskom was "weeks away" from signing a deal with the Zimbabwean government that would see it stop burning coal and start burning wads of Zimbabwean currency. Speaking to the media at the publication of the report, Eskom spokesman Sparkie Maloi said that the burning of banknotes solved numerous problems. "The new Zimbabwean $10-million note is made of a compound of cow dung, Zambuck, and paraffin-infused blankets, and so it burns hotter and longer than coal," said Maloi. "Also, given the Zimbabwean exchange rate, it's currently cheaper to burn one kilogram of banknotes than one kilogram of coal." He added that if the Harare Mint failed to keep up with supply, Eskom "might start burning the thousands of letters of complaint" the company received every day, but that this option was not sustainable since most letters were sent straight to the company's public relations office, which is currently housed in a dumpster on a nearby landfill. However Maloi was adamant that there was no crisis around energy supply. "South Africans must understand that they currently enjoy a more plentiful and reliable supply of electricity than both the United States and Great Britain combined, in 1840. Both these countries are now world leaders." The press conference was ended early when a blackout curtailed a PowerPoint presentation on how to heat a house using sunlight and a magnifying glass.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Wizard
Super Contributor
I can feel the effect already, there was no Load Shedding in my area. :) I'll return the favour by going to Vikki Falls someday!
0 Kudos
Pam_1
Regular Contributor
My area of Richards Bay was out from just after 08h00 till after 14h00 this afternoon. Came close to boiling eggs in my alie out of frustration. This is the situation of the day, have to adopt and make the best of it, its not going to go away soon. I still love this place, dis lekker hier.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
What we haven't seen yet is the increased level of poor services. That will be the next step. Walking into e Bank 7-8 years from now you will be greeted with the words `What u want??' And yes don't forget your torch, just in case! :)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
It seems that there's a technological advantage in burning them Zim banknotes. Maybe Sasol could start using that instead of coal, and call it "biomass gasification".
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
What's the difference between SA and the Titanic?...the Titanic's lights were on when it started sinking....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Got a new dog. Named it Eskom, coz it's shetting it's load all over the place...
0 Kudos