Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Greatist guitar solo?

raps
Frequent Contributor
Santana: Europa Jimmy Page: Stairway to heavan Neal Schon: Late nite Jimmi Hendrix: All along the watchtower Cream: Sunsihine of your love Chria Rhea: on the beach ... (the riff gets u eventually) waddaya say?
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
I don't think there can one that can be called the greatest,the list of brilliant solos is endless,my favourites, Don Felder & Joe Walsh- Hotel California; Mark Knopfler - Sultans of Swing; Jimmy Page - Whole lotta love;Eric Clapton when with Derek & the Dominoes- Layla; better stop , as I said the list is endless.
0 Kudos
am_1
Frequent Contributor
Definitely Chris Rea: On the Beach at Nosy Mitsio Madagascar watching manta rays and other things and Gary Moore sailing on a moonless night
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
going back a bit but what about jimi hendrix and the american national anthem??and a few more of his renditions he could make the guitar sing
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I saw Clapton live in Swaziland in '89, he sarted the set with a 30 minute solo and they ended over 2 hours later with a 20 minute drum solo that concluded with the drumming jumping on his kit ..
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
OCD - he didn't know how else to stop.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Santana:Samba pa ti. Gary Moore:Parisienne walkways.Bing Crosby:I'm dreaming of a White Xmas.or was that David Crosby:Almost cut my Hair. Can't remember now. . . . Janis joplin with big brother:Ball and chain
0 Kudos
raps
Frequent Contributor
Really wish Santana would come down here...would love to hear him play Europa...
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
did ELVIS play the guitar?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
1. Jimi Hendrix 2. Duane Allman 3. B.B. King 4. Eric Clapton 5. Robert Johnson 6. Chuck Berry 7. Stevie Ray Vaughan 8. Ry Cooder 9. Jimmy Page 10. Keith Richrds
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Ican't believe you didn't include one of your own, Hank Marvin, up there with the best, saw him last year and still makes that Fender sing.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
And then there was the guitar duel between Steve Vai and Ry Cooder from the movie crossroads. But seriously, are we limited to rock here? Because if you have ever seen those Mexicans (Rodrigues and Gabriella) in action, you will be blown away - and then there is the Spaniard, Paco de Lucia - entre dos aquas (it is on one of the Cafe del Mar CD's).
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
I agree with those........and for jazz guitar there was the great Django Reinhardt, before many of us were around, who was a virtuoso even with only two useful fingers on his left hand.
0 Kudos
Bangbielie
Contributor
James Marshall Hendrix.... The greatest.
0 Kudos