Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Greece survives for another day

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an the rally is on, for at least a couple of hours ?? Maybe a few days ??
0 Kudos
29 REPLIES 29
DEP
Super Contributor
Yeah, deja vu all over again.
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
- Hmm - elections not that convincing. In effect, 30% of Greeks voted to stay in the Euro , submit to the austerity measures and honour their debt obligations. It's still touch and go.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
My best guess is that this rally will fizzle quite quickly – a day or two most. Omo
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
The Greeks will default , after the US elections?
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Hmmmm... interesting thought! Has Obama Admin. have such power over Europe? Its a plan...
0 Kudos
Mboss
Contributor
Does this now mean no QE3?
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
QE3 is almost definitely on, only question is when. I'm not sure it's the smartest thing to do because they'll need bullets should the EU really tank.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Forget QE3 for now... Later in the year at best!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Dudes and dudettes. The market basically shrugged off all the negativity pertaining to Europe. That negativity still persists - Greece is irrelevant in the bigger scheme of things, considering that Spain and Italy are 10 times the exposure levels - each!. So the US and China chugging along, China slowing but still positive, the US - well who knows what really goes on in their minds and markets. So all it will take for another rally is a single piece of positive news out of Europe, like some sort of accord or a bond yield below a certain level - and this rally will be big. Only problem is that it will keep ticking up unconvinsingly until the big push - which you won't be able to trade because it will be too late. Ride the wave and stop panicking about the future
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
I think it's done exactly what we said it would. The election was small upside, big downside. So a bit of a bounce, but bonds for Spain & Italy have jumped today. The issue isn't whether the world will end but whether there'll be opportunities to buy at lower prices, and/or to short in the meantime. If it were just buy and forget, we wouldn't be on the forum.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Sorry - read that as "bond *yields* have jumped.
0 Kudos
Mboss
Contributor
Good call. So the world is "ending" but nobody cares?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya, check VIX .. totally untroubled ..
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
My top-down view is that there are continuing issues and I'm certainly not going all-in either way. My bottom-up view is to buy where there are opportunities right now.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Greece should be kicked out, let the catastrophe happen....but will not happen in US election year....2013 will be like Friday 13....I have PRICES, and I will be waiting to add to my long term investments...will not take me more than 5 minutes to accumulate...
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
If you so strongly believe about financial disaster in 2013 why buy (you said: long term)?
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
- and apparently ,many of those that did vote to keep the status quo and stay in the EU , did so holding their noses. Moving the deck chairs on the Titanic anyone ?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Pasok is also pro EU/EZ pushing that number close to 50% .. the bigger issue, the pro nazi party got like double digit support and will have seats in the parliment ..
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Exactly right. Short term it's not a problem. Citi still thinks 50-75% Grexit within 12-18 months. I wish Germany would just buy Greece and pave it, or something.
0 Kudos