Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Grindrod needing cash?

Not applicable
What is the story here? Looks suspiciously like a rights issue - but that does not make sense, since it is not like they are burning for funds - or is their once much vaunted balance sheet starting to take strain?
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Actually their balance sheet has only come right in the last few years. BUT they have huge capital commitments going forward. In fact - I doubt that this R2 Billion will even touch sides. Explains why their share price has been under sustained pressure - the market knew!
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
It will be a right issue!
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Well, net debt rose by R1bn to R2.9bn during the first six months while capex committed to Dec comes to another R0.9bn. For 2012, a further R750m is already committed excl. any additional capital expansion at the Maputo and Richards Bay terminals - the real growth projects. Pressures in the shipping market have probably placed cash flow budgets under significantly more strain than originally anticipated. Issuing shares to a third party with a claw-back option to existing shareholders is probably faster and much more cost effective than a rights offer which in the current market would have attracted a sizeable discount. If the shares are issued at say 1325cps (30-day volume weighted), this would also be at a premium to book of 1177cps. R2bn raised at this price would require the issue of 150.9m ords, equivalent to a one-third increase in outstanding shares. Given that GND has moved into a net interest paying position, the issue would not be excessively earnings dilutory in the short-term. Nevertheless, not sure that I would be too thrilled if I was a shareholder.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
so why not use that much vaunted 1.3bn in cash that they keep talking about? This was always their song and dance - that they were able to leverage off this? I guess that the directors do not have much faith in shipping margins going forward if they are so concerned about their gearing.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
A rights offer by any other name... The real factor here is the identity of the investor.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
These vast issues of new capital have a devastating impact on ROE models - and shareholders usually get to pay for them for all eternity. CLawback arrangements often amount to: "If you don't buy them then "Mr. X" wants them. So you had better take up your allotment."
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
SKAAPTJOP - They need that cash to cover their 2,65 billion overdraft. I would be interested to see how close to the margin their loan covenants are sitting.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Looking back I see that I hung on to my GND's for way too long (sold 2 months ago). Rising D/E with declining revenues should be a clear cut sell signal.
0 Kudos