Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

HARDTalk

Not applicable
did anyone watch Alec Erwin getting grilled on BBC World? I know its a touchy subject but it was good to see someone raise all the questions that a normal south african would be told to get out of the country for asking. Not sure what the rest think but I dont feel he painted a very bright picture to the international community. Typical Government spokesman trying to dodge all the questions..
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Marko_1
Contributor
Caught only part of it - methinks that "a politician remains a politician" no matter which party,which country,which ideology they stem from.
To really make a difference a politician has to be willing to be bold which implies stepping forward to be counted.
This then goes against the party line & is deemed radical & the person will either step down or be pulled back in line with the party's overall thinking.
Whilst democracy is great, this is one failing in the system, but no better alternative has ever yet surfaced.
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
But a "one-party democracy" is an improvement for those with snouts in. And with our revered constitutional court blessing floor-crossing to hoover up any strays, fings ain't gonna change soon. Alec was quite fluent, and very loyal (almost obsequious) to his boss - did you hear how he cranked the PRESIDENT Mbeki thing when the interviewer referred to him by name only? And very teflon at ignoring the direct question about Telkom shares to the elite.
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
Personally, I felt he was very well spoken, and fair in his responses. I felt proud to have him represent SA. Sure, I dont agree with everything, and I have my own opinions, but none-the-less I think the media always puts spin on things, and come on, you cant expect a member of the executive to tell you whether who is going to vote for! That was just naive and opportunistic of the BBC reporter. Well done Alec!
0 Kudos