Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

HELP PLEASE

Jemaiks
Frequent Contributor
I have completed my articles and have worked now for seven years in the audit field. Last year I got the new interest in investing and coursed me to spend alot of money on books, software, etc. Auditing pays the bills but investing is where my passion is now. What course could I go for to get into the investment houses. I am considering doing my MBA part-time but want to know is there a particular course that I can undertake for investing etc. Any information will be highly appreciated. Thanks a million!
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Registered persons exam is an option. saifm.co.za
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
HAve you done any of these course Simon.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
staff here are doing. Some simple, some hectic. Process somewhat flawed. One Q was - how many ETF's were listed in Sep 2005? Who knows, who cares. Also some errors in notes and exams.
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Funny - but there are guys born yesterday who remember what the 'Boks rugby score against England was in the year preceding WW II
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
the right qualification is a CFA - see cfainstitute.org - this is a far superior qualification than a MBA if you are interested in investment/risk management
0 Kudos
DZ
Contributor
I am in a similar boat, I am studying toward my BCom, looking to major in accounting. I enjoy accounts but my passion is for the markets. When I get home I flick through channels 54,55,56 on DSTV and get hooked there with all the global and local news. When I drive home from work i try and catch Bruce Whitfield World at six on Cape Talk. When I'm on the net I'm either on the site or checking out fin24. So I dont know, the only course that offers economics is if you major in eco's.
0 Kudos
GdM
Frequent Contributor
CFA if you want to become an investment professional, 3 levels, each done per year. If you want to be a private investor, experience, experience, experience...
0 Kudos
mightymouse
Contributor
if your passion is there for investing,there are many here without even matric,yet they make money.the world is filled with books and yes search knowledge from the cradle to the grave and with the experience of trading and investing after the pocket hurts , u only need one run in life to be successful ,no matter what investment tool u using.so good luck to all.god bless.
0 Kudos
surfer
Regular Contributor
CFA is the industry specific qualification .I am currently studying towrds level 1.You have to have a degree to write or relevant experience.CFA on its own in theory should out earn an MBA but an CFA and MBA is better
0 Kudos
Not applicable
DZ - you said you are studying towards your BComm majoring in accounting. I am currently studying my BCompt but want to change it to BComm accounts. Are you registered with UNISA or are you doing it full time. If you could help me that would eb great as i need to know if i have to pick up extra mopdules.
0 Kudos
analyst
Frequent Contributor
CFA definitely, but only if you are serious. Most people sign up, underestimating the exam. It's very tough but worth it. If you are interested in investments than CFA is better than MBA
0 Kudos
Q2W
Super Contributor
Also doing CFA 1 next year. And yes I heard not to under estimate it. Putting in less than 300 hours of studying and you will have trouble. After CFA 1 what options do I have in such a field?
0 Kudos
analyst
Frequent Contributor
Well it's quite tough to get into the industry. Depending on what degree you have studied, it might be worth while joing a grad program at a company like JP Morgan or UBS or one of the other big companies. If you are a CA, with the CFA I you stand a good chance of getting in as a junior analyst/portfolio manager. GOOD LUCK WITH THE CFA!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
read a book, What they dont teach you at harvard Business school" by Mccormack keep on reading "fortune"forbes" Business week religiously & then doa lot of preying J
0 Kudos
DZ
Contributor
Richie77. Yes I'm reg with Unisa part time. I'm actually reg for the BComm gen but want to switch over to the BCompt. I'm doing ACN202-Group Reporting but to do third year accounts you need TXN203-Company Income Tax, as well. I dont know if you've done TXN203 but I dont like the look of it, VAT sucks. But i haven't done any tax modules so I just need to get used to it. Why do want to switch to BComm accounts?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The reason i am looking to switch is i am not keen on doing 3rd year auditing. I have completed my articles and auditing is not the way forward for me. I am not pursuing MY CA but rather going to go teh CFA route. I am just trying to find out from UNISA if i can switch at this point and what other subjects i can pick up. If you can help please email me on [email protected]
0 Kudos