Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Help - can i double my profit in 1 year?

AP
Regular Contributor
I've receiced a family investment of about R5M. I am new in share trading and was told that one can easily double ones money in 1 year. I've jsut bought Ellies and Agnlo (50% each=R5M/2 = R2M each i think). A friend just showed me how to sell the shares. I've done so, but it look like I've received 20% less. How is this possible - thought that one makes money on the share market????
0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24
warhippo
Super Contributor
It's a Friday phenomena. Suppose to be fun day! :)
0 Kudos
samoa
Super Contributor
For us to double ours....somebody must loose.Be patient,maybe next year will be your opportunity? I really hope you are joking!
0 Kudos
Penny_Pincher
Super Contributor
Hello my name is TB Joshua and I have a great investment in civil construction for you.
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Best Friday joke for some time..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Lol, wish I had R5M to play with :-) Lol really hope this is a joke. It isn't really funny though..
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
If not as they say, "a fool and his money are soon parted"
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
It's just a paper loss, just hold em until you get to 10 million........
0 Kudos
Vince888
Regular Contributor
AP. If it was that easy to double your money on the equity market, I would have put my house and everything on the stock market... The advice that you received was from a fool.
0 Kudos
Wino
Super Contributor
The way its worded, sounds like the pink panther has changed its vocation.
0 Kudos
Bangbielie
Contributor
Ellies??? You got more chance of doubling your money on red or black @ Emperors.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hey AP. Tell us more jokes! You're funny!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Don't forget to mortgage the house when they drop 50%, then buy more. When they drop another 50% - start selling body parts, liver first. Then when they finally both rally and you recover your initial investment, you can sell, buy 10 cases of Moet & Chandon in celebration, and give them to me, since you won't have any liver and kidneys to enjoy it.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Don't forget to mortgage the house when they drop 50%, then buy more. When they drop another 50% - start selling body parts, liver first. Then when they finally both rally and you recover your initial investment, you can sell, buy 10 cases of Moet & Chandon in celebration, and give them to me, since you won't have any liver and kidneys to enjoy it.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Skaap, that champagne sounds like a good idea!
0 Kudos
AP
Regular Contributor
Hi everyone! Many thanks for all the advice. It really helped to put me on the right track (I'm a fast learner). A friend told me on the weekend that it is now time to get defensive stock. So i bought poynting. Apparently they are strong in the defensive business (selling missline tracking systems?); this time all my money is invested in this stock and not spliting it up as before. Hopefully i will not be disspointed this time....
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Now you are definitely poynting in the right direction, suggest climb on one of the missiles for the ride:). AP,thanks for the post it has least given us a bit of humour.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Vince888
Regular Contributor
AP, I appreciate your willingness to learn, But do you think it is wise to put all your eggs in one basket. What makes Poynting a defensive stock? Do you Analyse company fundamentals or technicals? Taking tips from a friend is not a strategy and may result in very expensive school fees. Just a thought.......Anyways your money!
0 Kudos
bangbul
Regular Contributor
AP. There is an old joke about how to make a million out of farming? You start with 5 million and farm until you got a million left. One can say the same about trading and investing. Sure you can make 100%- by taking risks that can cause you to loose 90%. Talk to a financial adviser and invest most of that capital wisely. Take a small portion say 10% and learn. Unit trust have served me well in the past. Yes the cost are high, but in return profesionals manage your money. Of late I have spent a small fortune in hedging that capitol. Recently I switched from aggressive equity to a flexible fund of funds with moderate risks and include cash, bonds and international value stocks. Try Simon Brown's website 'justonelap'-I think- and educate yourself properly before playing with that kind of money. Good luck.
0 Kudos