Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

Community

Share knowledge. Find answers. Ask questions.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Help - can i double my profit in 1 year?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
I've receiced a family investment of about R5M. I am new in share trading and was told that one can easily double ones money in 1 year. I've jsut bought Ellies and Agnlo (50% each=R5M/2 = R2M each i think). A friend just showed me how to sell the shares. I've done so, but it look like I've received 20% less. How is this possible - thought that one makes money on the share market????
0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Super Contributor
It's a Friday phenomena. Suppose to be fun day! :)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
For us to double ours....somebody must loose.Be patient,maybe next year will be your opportunity? I really hope you are joking!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Hello my name is TB Joshua and I have a great investment in civil construction for you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Best Friday joke for some time..
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable
Lol, wish I had R5M to play with :-) Lol really hope this is a joke. It isn't really funny though..
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
If not as they say, "a fool and his money are soon parted"
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
It's just a paper loss, just hold em until you get to 10 million........
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
AP. If it was that easy to double your money on the equity market, I would have put my house and everything on the stock market... The advice that you received was from a fool.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
The way its worded, sounds like the pink panther has changed its vocation.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Ellies??? You got more chance of doubling your money on red or black @ Emperors.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable
Hey AP. Tell us more jokes! You're funny!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable
Don't forget to mortgage the house when they drop 50%, then buy more. When they drop another 50% - start selling body parts, liver first. Then when they finally both rally and you recover your initial investment, you can sell, buy 10 cases of Moet & Chandon in celebration, and give them to me, since you won't have any liver and kidneys to enjoy it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable
Don't forget to mortgage the house when they drop 50%, then buy more. When they drop another 50% - start selling body parts, liver first. Then when they finally both rally and you recover your initial investment, you can sell, buy 10 cases of Moet & Chandon in celebration, and give them to me, since you won't have any liver and kidneys to enjoy it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Skaap, that champagne sounds like a good idea!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Hi everyone! Many thanks for all the advice. It really helped to put me on the right track (I'm a fast learner). A friend told me on the weekend that it is now time to get defensive stock. So i bought poynting. Apparently they are strong in the defensive business (selling missline tracking systems?); this time all my money is invested in this stock and not spliting it up as before. Hopefully i will not be disspointed this time....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Now you are definitely poynting in the right direction, suggest climb on one of the missiles for the ride:). AP,thanks for the post it has least given us a bit of humour.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
AP, I appreciate your willingness to learn, But do you think it is wise to put all your eggs in one basket. What makes Poynting a defensive stock? Do you Analyse company fundamentals or technicals? Taking tips from a friend is not a strategy and may result in very expensive school fees. Just a thought.......Anyways your money!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
AP. There is an old joke about how to make a million out of farming? You start with 5 million and farm until you got a million left. One can say the same about trading and investing. Sure you can make 100%- by taking risks that can cause you to loose 90%. Talk to a financial adviser and invest most of that capital wisely. Take a small portion say 10% and learn. Unit trust have served me well in the past. Yes the cost are high, but in return profesionals manage your money. Of late I have spent a small fortune in hedging that capitol. Recently I switched from aggressive equity to a flexible fund of funds with moderate risks and include cash, bonds and international value stocks. Try Simon Brown's website 'justonelap'-I think- and educate yourself properly before playing with that kind of money. Good luck.
0 Kudos