Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Help to make money

breakout
Occasional Contributor
Now wait a minute...all the advice you've been given is way, way off! I'm importing bulk pharmaceutical ingredients and if you invest with me....you'll get truly unbelievable returns...trust me! Lots of important people have, and you should hear what they say about my scheme...er...investing prowess. I'm in Australia at the moment...but when I get back to SA we should chat... :-)
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Or daddy is rich ... this is his new allowance since finishing uni ... and he's retiring at 30!
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Hmmm,sound good, I'll check with my buddy at Pick 'n Pay.
0 Kudos
og
Frequent Contributor
Go live life to the fullest - see the world, buy a sports car (whilst you still can put foot on the accelerator), buy a yacht. I mean who wants to have R30k surplus after they retire anyway - you'll end up spending the money on your obnoxious grand children and geriatric friends and leave the rest to some undeserving heir who'll booze, womanise and blow the rest away... If all else fails, donate the money to charity and do your bit for society
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Well,Fdw,for 3 days the forumites have been responding to your request for advice.Do you have any comments?Thanks,maybe?
0 Kudos
fdewaal
Contributor
Thanks for the responses, not many of value but I suppose it is not too easy to make money. The Satrix suggestion is good however the return is from 18 to 33% over 5 year period which is bad.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
ah so you came here looking for a retirment plan with 7 years to go....good luck
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Tell you what dude ... I have some cash to spare for anything that will make me above 15% average per year ROI on low risk, for a period of 5 years. So if you find any wonderful business that need cashflow, give me a call .....
0 Kudos
SIMBA
Super Contributor
Add carbonated drinks to the steaks as they will also be in short suply, this winter .You have been warned.......
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
This morning I heard that the durban municipality is making electricity out of methane generated from their land-fill sites (rubish dumps). I think that the world has a future need for his projects, and a capital investment in that will definately secure a healthy retirement. Contact them, see if they would like to take your R30kpm .....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Buy a small commercial property with solid long term tennet and 10% escalations p.a. may only make 10% return in year 1 but by year 5 you sitting pretty. (and of course capital growth)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Cows also produce methane.Is it possible to harness their farts and convert it into electricity?
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
This will be a function of economics ... they will need to be farmed in a green-house so the fumes don't escape. The challenge though is that methane is deadly, and they will thus need oxygen masks. This construction will be expensive and so when electricity is expensive enough, and carbon credits trade high enough, this project will also become viable. Buy the land now ....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
You will have to ask HG, he has all the farming and other degree know how, maybe a collector tank strapped to their side like a pack mule and a pipe up the rear vacuming up the gas? Compression would be ideal to max storage then end of day or when milking time happens just swap out tanks?
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
I can't access this, what does it say? There is a complex going up in my area. My issues is: Is there sufficient market growth in business letting to get acceptable ROI on the property, net of transfer and selling costs. There is a premises that is going up in my area - then there's insurance, and rates. I dunno if the risk/return is really viable.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The food supplements may also need to be changed, a diet of raisins, beans and protien shakes in conjunction whith a high fibre diet may increase levels of methane gas production.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Basically, huge amounts of write downs expected in the coming years for property. Banks, especially US banks re-wrote the accounting rules allowing them to "move" the bad debt problems else where and thus re-ignite the books for impressive growth. They still have these undervalued assests/loans that are not performing and only when they actually deal with these will the property market really recover. They have to realise the losses, swollow the bitter pills they are hiding in the bottom drawer, and get on with it. Letting levels ROI are expected to deline or stay stagnent for at least three years. So as your annual costs could increase your return from rental might not move at all from present levels. The break even will be when you can place a deposit down to equalize return and income to expenses. That way you deal with at least the marginal capital growth expected in the next 5 years. If you trying to offset capital growth vs lost income you fighing the interest battle....
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
lol!On that diet you might as well throw a few people in the greenhouse as well.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Years ago I saw a system where cowdung was dumped into tanks and left to ferment. The methane exited out the top of the tanks through various valves and was used for cooking. Not sure if anyone got the energy figures but burning cowdung directly even to generate electricity might also be an option.
0 Kudos