Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Help wanted from the TA gurus

Not applicable
Im teaching myself a few TA patterns. the one Im looking at is the "Parabolic Curve Pattern" ... is what we saw on MRF of late an example of this pattern?
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
Not applicable
come on guys... throw me a bone here:)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
..sho looks like it - check it out on the site below. http://www.chartpattern.com/parabolic_curve.html
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Another pattern Im trying to find a practical example of is - Flat Base Pattern... it looks to me like GDF is setting its self up for a possible break up which would be confimed by an increase of volume as it breaks?? am I on the right track here? That aside we should hear a little more about the sale of the whole group which Im hoping is along the lines of the figure mentioned in the papers of R10bn. Hence Im stocked up and holding thumbs.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
TZ, my 5c on patterns is that they are mostly a waste of time. Research into patterns found that only two really worked; Dow Thoery and head and shoulders with the former the better. Everything else was at best dodgy.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
thanks Simon, might as well get a broader understanding of as much about trading as possible while Im still young. comment noted.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
very good point. I did that route, learnt it all and then decided what to forget.
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
bukowlski begs to differ Simon. see my post "Your book for the day!". he observed over 700 stocks over a period of 10 years, and catalogued their results, showing a kind of statistic result indicating relative performance of different patterns. certain ones definetly proved unprofitable but some are good.
patterns are probably impossible to prove mathematically, but an analysis like his provides invaluable insight imo.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yes and that was his claim to fame...he worked it all out...I am sure he did a brilliant job...does he feature in the rich list? I think he died pretty poor....
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya, I have seen lots of reserach on patterns. But the question is always actually trading them in real life, and that's when they often fall down due to spreads, costs, entry points etc. My personal experience is that they are not worth the effort and one is better finding a few that really work and that are really simple (in terms of entry/exit) - and then sticking with them. Further, to my mind the real problem is identifying them. It relies on the human eye that is seriously under emotional pressure and hence we see what doesn't really exist, or see what we think we see - but it isn't.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
just like another less famous TA guru with a degree in maths he made more money from selling his pearls of wisdom rather than using them to trade with....trading is not about maths....if you think it is and you are trading lets hope your mother in law is as generous when you need to be bailed out....
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
You think Zarpie's wiped again? I wonder when he'll return?
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
i dont have the original book only the discussion on charts in the book at hand. so i may be wrong, but i think he (bulkowski) was looking at it from an academic perspective, due to the continual debate around whether TA actually holds merit, versus proponents of the efficient market. the author of the book does make it clear that the value of Bulkowski's study is not in determining the value of chart pattern analysis itself, but in determining which of the classic patterns are more profitable at least risk. and not everyone is interested in money bro, some people derive their life satisfaction from research and academia, as hard as that may be for members of the forum to understand. it is better to have some form of study that one can point to and accept or reject than to trade on pure Nth hand anecdotal evidence (of the viability of charts).
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Last post he was shorting AGL and BIL.
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
Why don't you just say "Last Post"? They blow it at funerals, don't they?
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
BABYBOY is also missing in action!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
not to mention acehigh who made a brief cameo a few days ago and is gone again
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
chartist, i would disagree. it is fundamentally about maths or more specifically statistics. BUT where I agree with you is it is way more than that. the stats just swings the balance of probabilities in your favour (else you wouldnt have an edge) but the "skill" or art is in managing your own fears, greed, psychological weakness, and so on. discipline is where it stands or falls. but i suspect that is what you are trying to say anyhow? since you dont need to be good at stats to be a good TA, or being good at stats def doesnt mean you'll be a good TA. just my 2 cent understanding of it all... :)
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
kr!pto, not at all. Trading and indeed charting patterns are all about psychological. No maths at all.
0 Kudos