Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Help with some maths Please?

john_1
Super Contributor
LOL: who ever said you dont learn stuff on the forum..
0 Kudos
r_n
Contributor
Perhaps the lack of sufficient mathematical software can be overcome by using FFTs (fast fourier transformations): In complex variable notation, the even numbered terms are of the form f(n)*e^i[(2 pi)(n*k)/N ] and the odd numbered terms are of the form f(n+1)*e^i[(2 pi)(k*(n+1))/N] That still leaves the problem of hardware optimization assuming John's pc is clocking at less than 100Tera bits/ second. A possible solution here might be to utilize the simplified butterfly arithmetic unit in which the usual two coefficient registers or memories are needed. The registers can be used as sources of a respective sum of and difference between sets of phase-shifted cosine values, the mechanization of the complex multiplier for such arithmetic butterfly unit in microcircuit or "chip" form may be further simplified to two controllable accumlators controlled by an exclusive-NOR gate logic system responsive to the states of the complex sampled inputs of a sampled signal epoch of interest. In this way, a more efficient and higher speed device is achieved for the multiplication of complex variables.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Matlab 7.0 should do the job, we need to to find a java type matlab applicatio to run from SBK's servers, Simon will you look into it and cater for the ever expanding needs of this forum?
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
And you wonder why so many "brilliant" mathematicians are either antisocial or just completely off the charts loony. They're like half baked potato's, you can't use them for much. Imagine making it your life's work to think up stuff like this.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
r_n
Contributor
Agree.. that should work. Using simulink it might be possible to devlop a real time control system to optimally solve such problems.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
LOL....John,this is certainly overkill
0 Kudos
og
Frequent Contributor
Shut up all you engineers and scientists on the forum!!! I am still trying to explain to one of my people (who is a PhD graduate) how you realise in a larger number when you divide by a fraction...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
(4 / 1/2) = 4*2 = 8 hope this helps
0 Kudos
DA
Contributor
I guess John is just trying to invent a shorter cigarette, so that his staff can still get their full fix but take less time to do so standing outside the front office entrance, which will give them a few more minutes productivity each day, thereby counter-acting their shorter expected life span.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Good thinking! The fatter cigarette should burn out faster! This phenomenon is inversely proportional to bernoullis's equation, brilliant!!!!___ and im not talking a load rubbish now
0 Kudos
M0nar3n9
New Contributor
Oye, there I was the poor matriculant thinking that I ma the cleverest in the market, no wonder the market keeps klapping me or should I say humble me - Engineers and Scientis should not be allowed to trade.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Do u think Engineers and Scientists make money? They work for salaries! So much for the big brains!
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Yes yes, moose, but you want your customers to die slowly, so work that into your equation. A dead customer = 0 ROI. A sick customer = ½ ROI. A sick customer that feels healthy = 100% ROI. We could generate a formula for the perfect cigarette size and chemical composition.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
or make an increase of benefit from a pass aways: increased rate of burning cigarettes to extra few mm/min by adding phosphor and decreasing specific heat capacity of plastic cigarette filters to +- 1.3 J/(g·K) and decrease health warnigs on carton means increase consumption, leads to increase in demand for die cast coffin handles. leads to increased income to metallurgical and mechanical engineers who rule YOUR lives without you knowing anything about it.
0 Kudos
bangbul
Regular Contributor
CPS agree with new diameter of 9.24mm , but i get a volume of 12 068.57 cubic mm.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Let me guess moose. You're still in your 20's, maybe fresh out of tech or varsity with your metallurgical diploma or degree. You're not married, no children. You do the work you love and you're still highly influenced by your tech, varsity buddies. Life still needs to rub off on you a little before you open your eyes and realize that you might not be as important as you think. Get married and have your first child and then we can have this conversation again.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Sorry for returning a bold statement, but dont underestimate engineers, people seldom realize the influence of engineers. whether its the coeficcient of kinetic friction standards for the sole of your shoes, or the sealed single row permalube bearings with h9 dimensional tolrances in the sewing machine that help make the clothes on your back and and...its truely interesting.. And people still ask what engineers do....Yes the stuff I know nothing about: women, stock markets ... ... ...
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
If you are a smoker - increased health warnings = increased consumption and not vice versa! That is vice vicer!
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
Bernoulli Brainiacs, here is one for you. On an aeroplane, the vertical movement (lift) is controlled by the wings through the Bernoulli's principle, however an aeroplane also has a tail rudder, which controls its horizontal movement (direction) which applies the exact same principle. The assertion is . (well, that is the question?) Should this therom be correct, it will allow single seat racers to run less down-force (drag) and consequently be quicker down the straights nevermind increase apex speeds. The patent is simply "dynamic aerodynamics that allow a vehicle to achieve more lateral grip" Wiz, Maybe that could make money!
0 Kudos