Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Hemp to get economy going?

Not applicable
Wikipedia says:Hemp requires little to no pesticides, no herbicides, controls erosion of the topsoil, and produces oxygen. Furthermore, hemp can be used to replace many potentially harmful products, such as tree paper (the processing of which uses chlorine bleach, which results in the waste product polychlorinated dibensodioxins, popularly known as dioxins, which are carcinogenic, and contribute to deforestation). Industrial hemp has many uses, including paper, textiles, biodegradable plastics, construction, health food, and fuel. It is one of the fastest growing biomasses known... Major producers include Canada, France, and China. Could it be useful to South Africa especially as we often have erosion problems and hemp can prevent erosion? A while ago after writing a newspaper and so on about the growing of hemp I received an email from a supporter stating the following: "It is the most fantastic crop, not at all thirsty, insect resistant and tough as old harry. every part of the plants can be used for anything from the most deeeeeeevine clothing way nicer than either the purest cotton or linen, to cosmetics and lampshades and and and you name it ... " Perhaps the growing of hemp would help many get jobs and could combat soil erosion.
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
kwagga
Super Contributor
Not doing much for the Lesotho economy though. Those Basotho's will steal anything they can get there hands on in the Drakenberg.
0 Kudos
Galuc
Super Contributor
And the upside of it is that if it doesn't work on anything else we can smoke it and be HAPPY! Great article, wasn't aware of it, thanx
0 Kudos
Not applicable
those wishing to support hemp growing can see http://www.hemporium.com/
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
There are massive Hemp farms in Kaza*****hstan, they are all Goverment controlled, I believe they manufacture approx 32 products from it. and creates employment oportunities for 1000s of people (excluding the smokers)))))
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Nice. If I were a farmer I'd use hemp like the wine system on wine farms in the old days. When salary increase and negotiations are due, I'd double the rations. A bunch of chilled out salary negotiators will same me plenty.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Lesotho is one of the biggest exporters of the stuff to SA and this is the more potent cultivars. They won't steal yours if you grow the non-narcotic cultivars.
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
EddieM, don't know if hemp is related to kenaf (hibiscus cannabinus), but I think Seardel- SER, spent in the region of R100mil building a processing plant or factory just outside Winterton KZN. This was promoted in the area as the next wonder crop, as the uses put forward were almost similar to those you stated.Driving past from time to time there seems to be no dent in the hundreds of tons of kenaf bales that appear to be rotting outside. Did this venture hasten the demise of SER??, maybe they should have stuck to knitting
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Growing and smoking HEMP is not illegal and will probably leave the populace in a happier frame of mind than any of BATs products!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
hemp is not the same as dagga. maybe if you smoked 30 joints you would feel it. you can visit http://www.hemporium.com/ to find out about drug content
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
The confusion lies with the use of common names. Both hemp and dagga are one and the same species i.e. Cannbis Sativa. Hemp is a cultivar/variety that has a low THC (narcotic) content. Kenaf on the other hand is a species of Hibiscus. It is also grown for fibre content and sometimes also called hemp. Hope this helps.
0 Kudos