Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Here is a little message form God (AKA MM)

john_1
Super Contributor
Global equities remain poor performers. As we noted yesterday, none of the world's major equity indices remains above support. Accordingly, we expect on-going weakness and remain bears. The chart above shows that the MSCI world equity index (1228) has broken below support of its orderly parallel downtrend. If anything, the weakness is spreading and the downtrend in world markets is accelerating. The S&P500 (1156) fell by nearly 5% yesterday, its biggest one-day fall in percentage terms since 9/11/2001. The composite is now down by 26% from its October peak and has erased half of its gains from the five-year bull market that began in 2002. On the domestic front, we expect the JSE all share index (1156) to test support at 22000. In the near-term, we expect the weakness to be driven primarily by resources which remain poorly supported. Bloomberg reports that about $4.4 trillion of market value has been erased from global stocks this week. Meanwhile, investors' flight to perceived safehaven assets resulted in three-month Treasury bill yields falling yesterday to 0.0201%. This is their lowest level since the end of World War II. A related observation, reflecting the reluctance of US banks to make loans, is that the rates charged for short-term loans relative to US bill rates rose yesterday to the highest level on record. Further, the cost of borrowing in dollars for three months jumped the most since 1999 and Libor's 19 basis point rise yesterday was the biggest one-day rise since September 1999's Y2K fears. We do not think that this is the time to be contrarian and pick the bottom!
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
MAGICIAN
Frequent Contributor
Seen you mention MM before. Sorry to sound stupid but who or what is MM?
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
Murray Morrison - a technical analyst.

Weird that the owners of loot want TB's - theoretical least risk. But banks are charging more on loans, which says either they have no liquidity to lend, or that they can't judge default competence, and so are trying to avoid engagement with potentially flaky borrowers.
It means banks are sitting like rabbits in lights - is it a truck, a game ranger's torch, or the end of the world?
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Wow John. That's a reality check of note. I love the latest Billionaire statistics report, apparently they too are feeling the pinch, with assets growing on average of only 2% over the last year period.
0 Kudos
ms
Contributor
john where can we fnd his reports in besides a place of worship
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
You know DST, I'm starting to feel a fear that next in line is a run on banks. Will start over there of course. But how far, and how quickly, do these things spread. Was just thinking a crazy thought of taking my cash and putting it all into my bond.
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
Your call - its normally hard to beat the risk-adjusted after tax return of paying down your bond a s a p. On the uvver (per Naas) hand, if a bank gets taken out by a run, then what happpens to your bond? Will they have to come and join the queueueues of Knysna carguards trying to collect whats due to them?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
If there's a big time run on banks what happens to outstanding bonds? They get sold on as part of the assets in liquidation and you keep on paying the new guys? But what if all banks are toast in the case of a massive crash - can you imagine the mess.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
what I'm saying is that if there a 1929 scenario I might just get a free house - so no point paying extra!
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Brazen,my portfolio is looking a little sick.I have been thinking of selling out.At the back of my mind a little voice keeps whispering that I might be committing the investor's cardinal sin by selling low. I keep asking:what would Warren Buffett do now? Also,is that a bottom I smell?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
john did say Chartist soiled his chair this morning so it could well be a bottom you smell. Sadly, I don't think it's the bottom of this sell off. As for you selling who knows - all I can say is I still have the portfolio I started 10 years ago and which I intend having in 10 years time. Nothing in the market short term though. I'm not good enough to trade this sh*t.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
I think I'll go long on your sense of humour-still looking quite strong.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
And as for Buffett - here a little quote for you. "In our view, however, derivatives are financial weapons of mass destruction, carrying dangers that, while now latent, are potentially lethal."--Warren Buffet (2003)
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
I just hope that one day I'm also rich enough to give all my money away.
0 Kudos