Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Hi Guys and Ladies

Jemaiks
Frequent Contributor
What internet service would you recommend for me to setup internet at home. I normally used 3G but its really giving me hassles now and wanna setup a proper internet at home. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I have not downloaded any data for share magic for two weeks and feel that I was blessed in disguise seeing the markets moves for this period.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
NJ_1
Frequent Contributor
Most people use ADSL from home. It means you have to do two things: you have to get Telkom to add an ADSL facility to your existing land line at home, and then you need to get an ISP to give you access to the Internet via the ADSL facility. From a hardware point of view you need an ADSL router. Telkom can do the entire thing for you, in other words, supply the ADSL on your line and then act as your ISP through Telkom Internet. Alternatively, you can choose to go through a 3rd party ISP like MWeb, WebAfrica, or any one of many others. If you're not tech savvy you will probably save yourself a lot of headache and frustration by contacting your local computer shop to assist and guide you.
0 Kudos
Jemaiks
Frequent Contributor
Thanks for ur response. I do not have a landline at home, however I note here is connection and cables for a landline. Maybe it will just be easier if I get a 3rd party to connect me up instead. Yeah, defnitely not very tech savy so will need some guidance. Thanks again!
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Which 3G you use? I use MTN, had problems, phoned them . . . goochied a bit with the settings - didn't work . . . so they sent an oke over who gave me a an antenna for free . . . Works better with the antenna unless its the tower that troubles
0 Kudos
CrownA
Super Contributor
If you have no ladnline, then try NeoTel.
0 Kudos
Jemaiks
Frequent Contributor
I use Vodacom. When i insert it on my private laptop I get the message that it malfunctioned, however when i put it into my work laptop it connects. So dont know whats the problem with my private laptop. Thats why I was thinking to get other internet connection on private laptop since my software and stuff is on it in any case. Maybe I should just take my laptop with 3G to vodacom and ask them to help me with it.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If you in CT contact me [email protected]. What OS do you have on your laptop and desktop. Some 3G dongles need a firmware upgrade. If you go Telkom, you will need the ADSL service from them R152 incl VAT + you then need an ISP to give you internet. Cheapest is Afrihost - R29 p/GB at the moment. That is what I have..Now tell me what shares to BUY :)
0 Kudos
Jemaiks
Frequent Contributor
Hi Nattrass I am in Jozi but is a capetonian. Will come down for Argus though. I have not been able to download data to my Share magic for past two weeks, so dont know what the charts look like. Thanks for your info though. The cost for Telekom is that per month?
0 Kudos