Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Hi Preston

stores
Super Contributor
If I call correctly...about a month ago, you said on this forum, that you closed out and became liquid....Maybe a mistake in hindsite...as May has been good so far...Simon always says WATCH THE PRICE...Gee....I am also waiting for a correction like you, but kept long term stuff in tact..We have hit new highs now, and I am interested to know what your next move is.
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
Prestonmyhusban
Regular Contributor
Hi Stores, Remember i am trading my belief on this market and usually one's belief shapes one's reality (Van tharp's principle). my belief may not necessarily be correct or aligned with this market philosophy.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
That above comment is from me. I am more comfortable taking small ,short term "sell"positions for now. I have been short fsr and it has been relatively profitable.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
That above comment is from me. I am more comfortable taking small ,short term "sell"positions for now. I have been short fsr and it has been relatively profitable.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
and if i do decide to go long on a stock, then i would choose a high dividend yielding stock where the current price is almost/or slightly less than last year closing price (31 Dec 2013).
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Remember share price = instrinic value + hype price. In the current market , i am bit concerned that the hype price could be the so called "classic bull trap".
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
I have bought 10 000 shares in pinnacle at +/- R11.20 for a short term trade. I have a stop loss and if the share price crosses that level, then this share is toast and i would walk away knowing that this strategy is a failed strategy and more work needs to be done on it.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
I do not trade the ALSI, (maybe i should),but my strategy is relatively simple. If i can get more units of shares with the proceed net of tax, then i have done well.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
*****Not related to your question *********** Interesting observation of volumes for the panel 1) +/- 1 300 000 vodacom shares was traded in a session today. 2) Extremely healthy volumes was traded for Glencor shares today.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Stores, remember i an not an expert. I am just "a" person ,giving an "opinion" about this market.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Traders that i pay careful attention to is, Barry, RUSS, Kwagga and even Simon Brown. I would usually investigate suggestions made by Spo no no no and TopGun. ******END********************
0 Kudos
Penny_Pincher
Super Contributor
I follow more or less the same commentators, good education for me. Also like from the tech perspective to follow old Doc Roffey, Frans De Klerk and Garth Mackenzie on BD TV. I see it as part of my own personal education, and more importantly they help to IDENTIFY potential investsments/trades. I feel however one must guard against information overload. The more commentators the more opinions.
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
Thanks Preston....Interesting...I am following Garth McKenzie mostly for my CFD trading portfolio with IG Index...Their daily reviews are great and worth the cost..I also use this CFD account to hedge against my long term investments when I think we are going down. Like Rams I use the 15 minute graphs and look for obvious trends. On the ALSI I go long after 2 green 15 minute candles and short after 2 red candles. Simple. My other rule is not to trade during the boring hours (i.e. about 11am to 3pm depending on US and Europe time changes).
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
@stores, are you involved in farming?
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
No..Ex Mining Engineer, retired at KZN South Coast and trading is my hobby now. Keeps the grey matter active.
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Sorry then, wrong person. I recall someone on the forum replying to a topic on the agricultural sector, on Rainbow (RCL) and Astral (ARL) and wondered if he climbed into these shares together with CBH, when all indications in April when the maize price was falling like a stone,it was obvious these companies were going to have big turnarounds. I follow them closely as I am involved in industries that are closely aligned to them. Would also be interesting to know what others on the forum do for a living. I should be retired, but business is a game I enjoy, background Civil Eng Construction, but at same time was partner in a shopping center, hotel and a string of liquor stores, butchery, and part time beef farmer. Now mainly in the farming sector in animal feed industry, beef and pig farming, sole owner of a liquor outlet and recently purchased a meat processing factory (in liquidation)which had a contract to supply one of our largest supermarket chains bacon in certain provinces. Their supplier for the other provinces went into liquidation in Feb,so now been given the whole country, unfortunately the packaging is in their brand. At the moment working hard to get our brand on the selves of other like businesses
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
lol, Did you employ the Village Boy to feed the pigs?
0 Kudos
eric13
Contributor
Hi Prancing horse, what is your take on SOV ? I think doing a lot better than others in the poultry sector. also adding good value to their product mix.
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
To be honest, fired, spoke too much, did too little
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
One can see what the shares have done in this sector, maybe SOV lagging a little. Followed them for a while when CBH tried to take them over. Today was offered white maize at R1750/ ton del, to think I had to pay up to R3600 in March, one can see the effect this will have in the final product. Chicken = egg + soya + maize., that is turned into cash in 5 to 6 weeks. If retail prices remain where they are for a while, and I think they will as all in this chain have been given a big smack,they going to make good profits. Chicken and pig industry has been decimated the last couple of years, so I believe the survivors are now smiling. I certainly am, and those that climbed into these stocks.
0 Kudos