Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Hi jimmo

qwest
Frequent Contributor
what are the platinum group metals there should be 5 of them you gave three,regads
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
barry_1
Super Contributor
If i may answer.Platinum,palladium ,rhodium,osmium and iridium i think as well.Interesting point they are usually found in conjunction with platinum in the same reef and are not a derivitive of platinum.I am sure you have heard on the Merensky platinum reef.Well when Hans Merensky found the first platinum reef in South Africa ,he was actually searching for gold as he knew gold would also be present.So the other metals found in the platinum reef are gold ,silver with nickel not usually in the reef but in close proxcimity to the reef.Usually Nickel is found in larger quantities in the deeper UG2 reefs.
0 Kudos
qwest
Frequent Contributor
Thanks barry,thats what I was looking for.
0 Kudos
qwest
Frequent Contributor
Thanks barry,thats what I was looking for.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Actually there are 6 + gold - so small mines like EASTPLATS quote on a 6PGE+AU (or7) basis. In order of importance: platinum, palladium, rhodium, ruthenium then osmium and iridium.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Barry u have a vast knowledge in the regard. Are u a geologist or a mining engineer?? Is it true that Uranium and Gold are found in close proximity??
0 Kudos
qwest
Frequent Contributor
Thanks threshold thats what I was looking for
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Yes ,they are found near each other.No I am not a geologist,but have family menmbers in the mining industry,have also in the past held platinum shares for a long time ,did a great amount of reading and live in a platinum region where i often meet geoligists socially.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
p.s it quantities of chrome found in the UG2 reefs not nickel. sorry!
0 Kudos
Major
Regular Contributor
Nickel can be a useful by product of UG2 and Platreef mining as well as Chrome. Chrome is also found in the Middle Group and Lower Group ore bodies which are below the UG2.
0 Kudos
BAP
Regular Contributor
Barry, you say you "held platinum shares in the past". Not one of your favourites anymore I presume? Reason(s)?
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Plat shares have run a volatile course since the recession,i these days prefer warrants on the majors.The mid and small caps are still going to take a long time to get into the money as ramp up operations cost so much and most have built up truly huge debts.
0 Kudos