Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

High frequency trading

kwagga
Super Contributor
RSG had an interesting chat with Russell Loubser yesterday. He mentioned that two things are beginning to take shape on the JSE, and it seems that this is a worldwide phenomenon - People are becoming more risk adverse and trades are becoming more and smaller. I was beginning to wonder if automated high frequency trading would ever take shape in South Africa.
0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
it's happening .. in their results it was referred to as adding volume to the JSE ..
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Do you know of any SA companies\banks\institutions doing that ? I would have thought that liquidity would be the main concern with HFT in SA.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
What is the idea of high speed trading? Am I correct in saying offers to sell are given and then the offers are withdrawn just before buyers can buy? Is the gist this: The tempted buyer is continuously offered a higher price and it is continually withdrawn, thus driving the price up?
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Heaps of small trades done very fast (faster than human eye can see) with the aid of some supercomputer. But I like your idea!!!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I assume they only focus on high liquid stocks .. and as too who, well is it HFT or algo trading, later all market makers do it, so all the big banks, satrix, etc ..
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
supercomputer ??? now there's a blast from the past .. haven;t heard that since the 880's mon .. heck my nokia is a supercomputer ???
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Beauty of it is you don't need a super computer, just massive bandwith between you and the JSE and well written trading software.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
you don't even need massive bandwidth .. data is tiny ..
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Ok, maybe not massive bandwith, but your order need to be on the market first, which means you need a quick, reliable link to the JSE's trading engine.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya, ou want a server in the JSE basement ..
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
No Simon, you want a GL server in the LSE basement.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
What trading platform does SBK use ?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well actually my call center and dealers use GL .. but more boradly we also use hermes, an others ..
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Right - so that's the options. API's into GL, Hermes or Tradecis.
0 Kudos