Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Highs and Lows

sponono
Super Contributor
I have kept a watchlist of all stocks that hit a 52 weeks high to see if these highs are just a flook or they are for real. My list indicates that these stocks have given a return ranging from a low of -2% (Tongat) and a high of 30% (DTC) with an average of 10% since the day of the 52 weeks high. My conclusion is that one could develop a lazy system that was based not on technical analysis but based on buying any liquid stock that hit a 52 weeks high. What do you guys think.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
DEP
Super Contributor
Sound reasonable, this will work in a bull market, like we having now.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Its the basis of TA.. buy that which is going up and sell that which is moving down... the question of break out systems has always been were to put the stops so that they are not obvious as it is very common for a stock to pull back to test the break out level...But also why favour only 52 week highs,why not short any 52 week lows... even more effective. Suggest you Google break out stratergies.
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
Based on this hypothesis one would buy Anglo today.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Ah cool, someone else made themselves a system :-) Keep posting about it, and lets see if it stands the tests of time.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
u buying OML ?
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
Waiting for about 1275 (50 day SMA).
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos