Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Historical high

sponono
Super Contributor
This week I did something I have always advocated but never had the guts to do: Buy a stock at a historical high and it seems to be working. All I need to do now is to add more on minor corrections.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Not applicable
And the stock is? Would love to analys and see what your thoughts were.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya, momentum investing .. we shouldn't be so scared of highs ..
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
I think also just get confirmation from other indicators such as MACD i find that if there is no confirmation on new highs/lows the price seems to change direction quite quickly.
0 Kudos
Stij
Contributor
Ja that's what I thought when I bought installments on Sasol @ R480. I suppose the problem there is that I thought I could ride out the loss like with a share... the installments exprired worthless several months later :(
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I disagree .. statiscally a new high leads to anbother new high an so on .. until yes one day it doesn't .. there was an FT article about just buying the winners, and it out preformed ..
0 Kudos
Big_Bucks
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
Simon, what i am talking about is a divergence between the new high and MACD where the MACD ticks down while the price has hit a new high normally a strong short indicator of change of direction. I picked this up in an Elder book (not sure which one) have used it quite successfully ever since from my notes he mentioned that you close your eyes and trade it don't seven second guess - who am i to disagree with Mr Elder.
0 Kudos