Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

History of your investing/trading activities

Werner_1
Super Contributor
I got this idea last night and started to implement it. I had an idea that over the years, in my case since 2005, i bought shares in various companies with varying degrees of success, some losses, some fantastic gains. But then looking on the OST portfolio list, i see the % gains change if one makes additional acquisitions or sales, So i thought of making a list that has all the purchases and sales of every single share i ever bought, obviously adjusted in the case of a split, consolidation or other corporate action. but then one can see how it went... I also got an idea once i have compiled this list i want to create a chart of some sort that will overlay overall performance and individual purchases to see what really fueled growth in the portfolio or not. i dont really know how i will achieve this, but its my next task. I thought we should discuss this as maybe some others would find it interesting or already thought of something similar? whats your thoughts? btw: i have an idea in my head about how to achieve a very informative chart. but will see if it works before speaking too much about it :)
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Jughead
Contributor
My question is: Why can't ost supply this information for every account?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
They can do it quite easily. its all there. maybe its something they could add into the system (porfolio view) sometime... but my idea is quite cool. if it works i will show you guys!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I run it in excel, have unitised my portfolio to make it all easier
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
i actually made a google docs spreadsheet (one can save in excel too if you like) and based everything on a R10k initial investemnt.
0 Kudos
Player_23
Occasional Contributor
Theres a good few Portfolio Managers on the net available for free. I trialled "Fund Manager" for it's 60 day period and it works well. The drawback is that none of them are geared for CFD's or other derivatives. So if your investments and trades consist only of shares/cash, then these will work very well. If you dabble in other instruments, the portolio managers are not really suitable.
0 Kudos
Cherry
Regular Contributor
I keep every e-mail I receive for every trade. I probably have 30 000 emails. However, why duplicate work. OST already provides this service. look under MY ACCOUNT - TRADING REPORTS. and take it from there.
0 Kudos
Cherry
Regular Contributor
I keep every e-mail I receive for every trade. I probably have 30 000 emails. However, why duplicate work. OST already provides this service. look under MY ACCOUNT - TRADING REPORTS. and take it from there.
0 Kudos
Cherry
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
Cherry
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Does that also have reports for normal share trades? I am building a spreadsheet that will contain all the data in a transaction-like log, but then also take this data and manipulate it in a way that i can instantly see what gains/losses were made on a specific trade, but the ultimate goal is to structure this in a way that i can plot a chart. the logic i have is each time you buy, you want to see if that deal was profitable, but more as well, is how profitable, and i have an idea of representing this on a chart. i think it will be quite interesting, so lets see the outcome. remember my idea is for long term shares, deals that have been opened 8 years ago and still no intention of closing them, etc.
0 Kudos