Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Holding ground

CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
I'm intrigued by nedbank holding ground after the rate announcement. This was a very brittle share in the last weeks, not knowing where to go, and now it's standing tall.
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
john_1
Super Contributor
Nedbank share holder are to dumb to know what hit them. ( Just kidding)
0 Kudos
Taurus
Super Contributor
But you just had to say something....?
0 Kudos
Zirk
Frequent Contributor
Has the strong opening of the Dow got somthin to do with it (temporary of course)? omo
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Forgot about that one - of course, tomorrow is a new day and who knows where we'll be when the market opens.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
NED is at the moment on the best earnings multible of the big four banks.With its smaller branch network and inovative ideas is likely to produce good returns and is coming up to its final in about March 2008.They also have an advantage that they can introduce new branches in strategic new areas as they are not yet at saturation level.I'll be replacing from Monday on at the lows my FSR installments with NED and ASA as FSR will go EXDIV.i see its also recommended as a BUY on this site ,which i agree.Having kept FSR for the last four months has been very profitable for me on the capital gain side as well.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
What with the credit act and reserve bank rate hikes,banks have had a rough time,how ever reflected in their numbers are better returns.This latest rate hike has already been some what discounted.As long some part of the econmony thrives as RESOURCES are doing now the banks will do well.Hopefully rates won't increase again and then the rest of the economy will start to pick up.I expect rates to start declining towards the end of 2008 then real estate will really run as it will become politic to start reducing rates as well.
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Thanks for your views - for one, I'm learning. Although they had a drive to expand their house loans, they were conservative in their awards and should not be prone to bad debts to the same extent like ASA. If I remember correct, the analysts expressed concern of NED high admin ratio as reflected in financials over the last coupla years. Would be interesting to see from interims if this has improved.
0 Kudos
Mr_Money
Regular Contributor
Nedbank is the most under valued share in the banking sector , therfore you should see it rise as the several rating institutions raise their value.
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Never mind holding ground...it's gaining on yesterday. Undervalued for almost 2 months and couldn't get enough of it now. Anything cooking that we do not know of, yet?
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
So, THIS si what it was all about: Sens 25/10/2007 - OLD MUTUAL BANK TO BE INTEGRATED INTO NEDBANK Old Mutual (South Africa) Limited ("Old Mutual SA") and Old M utual Finance (collectively "Old Mutual") and Nedbank Group have announced that Nedbank Limited ("Nedbank") will acquire Old Mutual's 50% interest in Old Mutual Bank, which operates as a division of Nedbank
0 Kudos