Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Holding up gains???

Not applicable
why isn this share falling while the market is coming down quite hard to consolidate? short this one?
0 Kudos
26 REPLIES 26
Not applicable
I'm also wondering why this share hasn't dropped. In comparison to MP which has dropped slightly, AMS is still going on its merry way. When will it turn? If it does at all?
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
why don't u watch the platinum price?....unlike industrial,financial shares these shares are influenced by the metal prices....its a delayed reaction and if the plat price falls ,the shares start to fall within 16 to 24 hours there after!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yea barry but why is imp down and ams up 3%.. and no new news about either one.. if plats followed the metal, then both ams and imp wouldve been moving in the same direction
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
they have always moved out of sync. even when the market was moving up sharply....there does not always have to be news that moves a share,some is just trading patterns and some just random moves....one difference is that IMP does not have a holding company and mostly the mood of local investors influencees its price.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Barry, why would the share only fall 18-24hrs after the drop in plat prices, wouldn't that be to easy to short the share?
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Correlation has been a bit weaker over the last 100 trading days. Not much, about 0.88 vs 0.95.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
nothing is easy,but yes,thats the final trigger i use to short.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks. Slightly off the topic, but relevant, as far as I know plat is mainly used in the motoring industry. If this is so, then why is plat price rising etc when car manufacturing is down with some companies struggling to stay afloat?
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Fan-tastic question, also that jewelery (the other main use) is down for the foreseeable future.

I assume it's because 1) platinum likes to move with gold, possibly as a hedge investment. Not sure what ETF purchases have been like. And 2) because everyone thinks the economy is getting better so one should get into commodities now. Plat is volatile and doesn't always listen to reason.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So you think it would be a wise idea to short IMP with a warrant that has a few months before expiry? Does it have to give way sometime?
0 Kudos
Surf_Rat
Super Contributor
Patience remember the shorts make money by driving the price up why is agl down 4% for the day and ams up 3 % ams results we will see in july based on the article in the fin week Dark forces management culture has anglo plats in dire straits , car sales are down ,and everyone forgets we sell the plats in dollars and bank the rand so at 8rands to a dollar and 1200 dollars per ounce work it out 9700 and change go to the income statement of angloplats and work out a cost per ounce in rands over the six months then we see
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
No idea, seriously. Maybe gold and plat are about to go to $2000. Maybe plat will drop, gold go up. Maybe the world calms down and both drop. No wisdom here :)

Surf - you have the worst grammar in the universe, but I really enjoy your posts!
0 Kudos
gamma_spike
Frequent Contributor
stop debating and short the sucker!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Lol, did this morning (IMP) come on drop... ;)
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
I have, I have! All of 'em. Many.
0 Kudos
Surf_Rat
Super Contributor
Richard mate Got a full time copywriter you must see the letters I can write mate ( I even have to get by dictionary out mate to understand what I have written ) suppose some are gifted in language I like pictures mate not words Would you rather read wilber smith graphic descriptions of the hot chick or check the pic always wondered why he never included photos of the chicks he spent like a whole chapter describing
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
No problem dude - the ideas still get through
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Every indicator I use points to hte AMS rally being the real thing. There is no divergence on the RSI or volume indicators, averages have crossed over, volume is up with OBV climbing, January resistance seems to have broken, only the directional index is still a bit weak. If it retraces, it is not going to retrace far - 30-40% IMO
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
What nobody has mentioned, she has a gap at 570, top of BOL 3 days in a row, 4 straight days of higher closes, above 10, 20, 50 MA but below 200day, she is at resistance of 600. Sto has crossed and overbought at 90. Today has a narrow open and close creating a doji. HELL yes I think it is time to put the winter shorts on!! IMHO
0 Kudos