Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Holiday advice?

ws
Frequent Contributor
I have doubled the value of my portfolio since the beginning of Jan and I think I deserve a holiday! I really fancy a skiing holiday,but it seems bloody expensive,any suggestions or advice?
0 Kudos
28 REPLIES 28
john_1
Super Contributor
sking in the european summer time is not advised. So prehaps one should keep investing till febuary...then try Alps du heuz.. club med. great value.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
brits is cheap an they got water sking ??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Camp in the back garden, that way you can watch your portfolio ;-), Seriously have a budget and see what you can get for that. Comming up to year end so plenty specials comming up. I really enjoy the east. Great value for money and a radical culture experience if you into that type of thing. Malaysia over year end is awesome (hot) but shopping and food experiences are out of this world. Was there last year and got upto 99% off almost everything just before new year.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Great value for half the price. Go there Jan-Mar before that it's risky there might not be enough snow cover http://www.bulgariaski.com/
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Go ski at Rhodes Village now - they have had lots of snow recently - nothing compared to Europe of course, but for 3 ZAR a glass of sherry at the Rhodes Village Hotel you cant go wrong! A couple of those lounging by the fire, and you wont want to ski at all.
0 Kudos
GL
Contributor
Go to Andora (spelling?). Very good skiing. Very good prices. Fabulous location.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Bow hunting in namibia,now thats what i call holiday!!!!!
0 Kudos
Jacques_1
Frequent Contributor
The nude beaches of Ibiza!
0 Kudos
ws
Frequent Contributor
Thanks guys for all the ideas! I was planning on something for the end of the year or early next year, so preferable snowskiing! Water skiing in Brits doesnt quite do it for me and bow hunting in Namibia,although sounds great,not quite a family holiday? Initial quotes so far for a family of 3,about R50k for 7nights in Italy and about R60k in Austria. Might have to do a little more trading over the next few months.
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
Would advise going for at least 10 days - done both the 7 day and 2 week skiing experience and 7 days leaves you wanting more. As you say, it is expensive, therefore rather pay a little more and gain full value - enjoy...
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
We still want the guy to came back home!
0 Kudos
ws
Frequent Contributor
Thanks AJT, will have a look at the 10 day option. Where have you been and what do you recommend? Yes the nude beach definitely sounds breastaking, but not sure whether the wife will approve and my 10yr old son probably not in that space yet!
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
In Europe have only skiied in Austria (Kitzbul and Saalsbach) - enjoyed both, but the best skiing is in Canada, specifically Whistler - pricy to get there, but worth the experience at least once..
0 Kudos
Jacques_1
Frequent Contributor
Iv done Kitzbuhl in Austria aswell, twice in fact. Its really good with lots of mixed slopes depending on your level of expertise and they have good english taught sking lessons aswell. Oh and no loud barmy armies there either.
0 Kudos
ws
Frequent Contributor
Thanks Jacques and AJT,yes I have also been to Canada (Silverstar in Vernon),but the flights alone are about R40k!
0 Kudos
sasa
Regular Contributor
Look at Livignio in Italy (been there, good skiing, and good value), or also consider South America (Argentina) - had friends who have done that and enjoyed it. If you want something way out, try New Zealand - several slopes and resorts there!
0 Kudos
ws
Frequent Contributor
Thanks sasa,yes I have looked at Livigno and it is a bit cheaper than say Austria, and I assume that language/English is not a problem there? Didnt even think of South america,would that be the Andora option mentioned earlier by someone else?
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
Andora is in europe, In Argentina i think you will need to go to Patagonia - not been there myself, but heard it is quite nice [they will be having their winter now]. Someone mentioned New Zealand - i can highly recommend the country, not skiied there, but visited and think it is the most beautiful country I have seen [specifically South Island]..
0 Kudos
am_1
Frequent Contributor
If you must go skiing try International Home Exchange. They have a great website & many Europeans exchange their winter for our sun. Will save accom costs. Otherwise Lamu, Kenya has the greatest New Year for families -more authentic than Zanzibar, the annual dhow race, & Caroline & co host a party on the soccer field for all the locals!
0 Kudos