Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Holiday advice?

klapka
Super Contributor
I can thoroughly recommend New Zealand for skiing this time of year. And the great thing is when you're recovering in hospital they almost speak our language.
0 Kudos
olilau
Frequent Contributor
i like the south of austria (near villach) but i am biased cause my mom has a house there on the lake (500m walk to the ski lift). from there i can get to 7 different country borders within an hour. a drive to venice is 2.5 hours. its a gem cause it doesn't get totally overrun with tourists so the slopes are not too full and the lift queues not too long. (google for "gerlitzen") gerlitzen alone has 51km of track/piste. kiddie school with instructors etc etc. but yes, everything together is expensive. flights and accommodation is just one thing - you need to buy ski gear (suits, goggles, gloves, caps), rent equipment, eat (food is expensive) and ski lifts are expensive. it prob is a good idea to get a pckage deal if you don't know ayone that includes as much as possible, nut beware, you're still gonna spend more than you think on all sorts of stuff.
0 Kudos
sasa
Regular Contributor
I was doing some work in New Zealand this time last year, and took a weekend off skiing. Beautiful. Skiing great fun as well. Exchange rate currently good, but flights may work out expensive.
0 Kudos
ws
Frequent Contributor
Thanks all for the advice, New Zealand certainly seems to be well recommended,will also look into it. yes there seem to be lots of hidden costs (ski schools,eqpmt hire,meals,ski passes etc). I also hear it is a mission getting visas these days?
0 Kudos
hippo
Contributor
Don't need for New Zealand
0 Kudos
olilau
Frequent Contributor
yup. if you do not have an EC passport, you will need a schengen visa for austria. btw, if you can, start gathering up forex while the rand is strong. i was in austria at the end of 2005 when the ZAR hit its hey day high of 7.5 to the _, then again end 2007 and i paid 33% more (around 10). quite scary how foreign currency fluctuation can severely dent your holiday wallet.
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
I don't know about costs (so don't shoot me) but would highly recommend St Moritz in Feb, you got luge as well as bob sledding and sledding for your son. Consider the Glacier express to Zermatt and then luge, ski, snowboard, sled the Matterhorn. There is a 7,5km sled run for you & your family - unforgetable fun!
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
Ay forgot, Tiffendell also cool, but not Feb!
0 Kudos
ws
Frequent Contributor
Thanks ACEP, will definitely look into that! Good idea on the forex,olilau,but what is the best/easiest way of doing this? Is it as simple as going to your local bank and arranging it through them?
0 Kudos